New Rifle!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by gunnut, May 4, 2008.

1. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    Here is the Savage MKII I picked up today.
    [​IMG]

Is there a good reason why there is a gap between the barrel and the stock? The dealer said it was a "floating barrel". I'm not really fluent in bolt actions. This is a nice addition to my other Savages though, I have a 12G pump and a 20G break action and a .410/22LR over and under. Sorry, no toes.

2. From my understanding, and someone correct me if I am wrong (I'm a big boy now, I can take it :D ), but a floating barrel imparts enhanced accuracy in a long arm.

ETA: Nice rifle, mister!

3. Friend of mine has one of those too and Ive never noticed a space between the stock and the barrel. I think Im going to have to give his a closer inspection.

4. deaconwagers

deaconwagers Guest

nice rifle. i've been looking for a .22 lately, how much did you pay?

5. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    Thanks, $150 OTD. I was looking for the Mossberg plinkster 802, because it is supposed to be cheaper, but this works too.

6. deaconwagers

deaconwagers Guest

good price otd. i'm also considering a plinkster, but the 10/22 is mighty alluring. and mighty costly for a .22, but i may opt for it anyway.

7. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    I'm sure the 10/22 is a great gun, but I just can't see spending $200+ on a can gun. It is one of the most customized guns on the market, but still it is a can gun. I have the Mossberg plinkster 702, got it for $89 at Wal Mart. It is an awesome gun for the price, any old Marlin is good too...for semi-auto. Just my .02.

8. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

I have the MK II FVXP, it looks pretty much the same as yours though but it doesn't have iron sights. You've made a great choice man, it's a great little rifle. Mine doesn't like Winchester Super-X hollowpoints though (they don't want to eject) so you may want to consider getting Remington or CCI ammo.

9. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

Can't tell from the pic, but I assume that has the AccuTrigger?

I have the same rifle and really like the AccuTrigger. Bought this as a first rifle for my son and have been very pleased with it. Although he's quickly moved up and now prefers to shoot the SKS.. :roll: :D

10. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    What is an Accu-trigger? I'm gonna assume mine doesn't have one. You can never have too many 22LRs, with the ammo cost.

11. For a lower cost alternative .22 autoloader to the Ruger 10-22, consider the Remington Model 597.

12. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

I have that exact same rifle with a different scope...I think I paid $150 OTD after scope and mounts. I have had some ejecting problems but nothing major. The trigger was very heavy on mine and I put a shim in the trigger and reduced it quite a bit and has been 100% safe for 1000+ rounds.

I was impressed with this so if it isn't cool....don't tell me :D

I decided to put a 1' diameter target out as far as I could at the range (250 yds) and try to hit it with this .22. Out of 10 shots I hit it three times :shock: . I had just sighted it in at 100yds and didn't want to adjust the scope anymore so I just aimed about 8ft high and watch where the dust came up to adjust for the next shot. It was windy and had a few shots hit about 6 feet right.

13. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

The Savage AccuTrigger gives the shooter the flexibility to set trigger pull to individual preference without having to pay a gunsmith to adjust it. Also, even when adjusted to its lowest setting, the AccuTrigger is completely safe and cannot accidentally discharge during normal use from being jarred or dropped when maintained and adjusted as intended. A newly designed teardrop safety is an additional feature on rifles with the AccuTrigger. It provides for better acquisition of the safety button and operates smoother and quieter.

http://www.savagearms.com/at_pressrelease.htm

14. Free-floating the barrel makes it so there are no stresses placed n the barrel. When a round is fired the entire barreled action "shimmies" for lack of a better term. If the barrel is free floated or bedded to uniformly touch the stock everywhere, there is no chance for pressures to cause a variable point of impact.

15. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy
    MSCHU24 wrote:

The trigger was very heavy on mine and I put a shim in the trigger and reduced it quite a bit and has been 100% safe for 1000+ rounds.

How does this work, can you post or PM pics? Thanks.

Carbin8r,
    Does an Accu-trigger look kind of like a glock trigger? If so, mine doesn't.

16. boyjoe

boyjoe Member

very nice I have a savage 64 22lr and a savage 110 in 30-06 and i do have a 10/22. i like em all. both the savages are "free floating" so the barrel does not touch the stock as a bullet travels down the barrel it causes the barrel to vibrate so you want the vibrations the same every time you shoot for best accuracy. if you pluck a string then touch it in the middle with different pressure you will see how it effect the vibration of the string having an attachment point on a barrel act in much the same way and if you put more or less pressure on the attachment point form your grip, rest, or mono/bi pod etc. it will change the vibrations and the bullet will exit at a different point of vibration each time reducing accuracy. honestly i don't truly know how much difference it make in a 22lr bot my savage 64 and my 10/22 (not free floated) are about the same when it comes to accuracy but I saw about an inch group size reduction at 250yds on my 30-06 when i had it free floated (it should have been free floated from the factory but the stock still touched the barrel in a couple spots) a nice way to check is to fold a dollar bill in half and fold it around the barrel and see if you can slid it all the way back to the chamber between the stock and barrel.

17. MSCHU24

MSCHU24 Member

Yes accu-trigger has a "blade" sort of like a glock.

Here is a link to where I learned about the trigger shim.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46774

18. gunnut

gunnut Member

Indy