New Shooter, First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by JohanBroad, May 21, 2015.

1. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and I have just purchased my first pistol, a Hi Point C9.

This is the first pistol I have ever purchased, and the first I have shot that was larger than a .22.

The Decision:

I spent about a year or so reading and researching pistols, and I looked at various types, makes, and calibers.

People told me to "Get a Ruger! Get a Glock! Get a <fancy $500-$700-$1000 brand-name-that I-can't-afford>. They sneered at anything less that $350-$400.

If I said the word Hi-Point, well, you know how people get...

After months of research and lurking on various forums, my attention kept coming back to Hi-Point. I read the various articles and post that denigrated the Hi Point, stating that it was "dangerous junk that will blow up in your face!" and that it was "unreliable, unless you needed a boat anchor" I also noted that everyone seemed to think it was "ugly"...

Anyway, I also found several article and videos showing that the Hi Point is reliable, safe and accurate.

Nutnfancy's review and Iragvetteran8888's torture test videos were big factors in my decision.

I got my C9 for $149.99(+tax & background check) at a pawn shop near me. It was brand new in the box. I also picked up a 10 rd. mag, cleaning kit, and a storage case. For $226.00, I am now a gun owner. :)

First Impressions:

This is not a light weight gun. However, it is not what I would call "heavy". It feels very solid in my hand, and there is no way anyone would ever mistake this gun for a 'toy'.

The magazine locks in with a very distinctive "KLIKK" sound, and the magazine pops free very quickly when you push the release button.

The Safety lever is a bit rough, but that's OK, it works. I can work it easily with my thumb.

The grips are nicely contoured, but a bit slicker than I'd like. I'd prefer a rubber grip instead the plastic.

I don't know why everyone keeps calling the Hi Point "Ugly". I kinda like the look of it myself. It's a simple, utilitarian design that works.

I am a big believer that Function is more important than Form, and function makes it beautiful in and of itself.

But then again, if I ever have to shoot someone, I am not going to care what they think of my gun's looks.

Issues:

I went to a local range to get a feel for the pistol. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy, I was putting shots pretty close to where I was aiming. It was a bit low and to the right, but I tweaked the sights, and that put me back on target.

The recoil was bigger than I am used to, but then again, I haven't fired anything bigger than .22 before, either. I will say that if this is a "light" recoil for a 9mm, I shudder to think what the recoil on a lightweight 9mm pocket gun will be like!

I fired 150 rounds, and I did have a few fail-to-feed issues, but mostly in the 10 rd mag, and only on the first round. The 8 round mag only had the 1st rd FTF twice. When I only loaded 9 rounds in the 10 rd mag, there were no problems.

Further reading seems to show that this is normal with new mags until they're "broken in". Apparently, letting them sit while loaded helps this issue.

Two of my FTF's were from 'limp-wristing' the pistol when firing. That was easily corrected.

I also noticed that the fins on the mags seemed to be bent pretty far inwards, and the bullets tended to point downward slightly. I tweaked the fins to open them a bit. This did improve the feed a little.

I loaded both mags, and I have them sitting in a drawer until I hit the range again sometime next week.

When I got home from the range, I took it apart and cleaned it up. I know it wasn't necessary according to the factory, but I did it anyway. The take down is a PITA. It's easy enough once the pin is removed, but getting the pin out is really annoying.

Mods:

Aside from tweaking the mags, the only other "mod" I've done is to take an X-acto knife and go over the pistol's frame and cut away the little ridges of plastic left over from the molding process. Getting rid of the little ridge on the back of grip immediately improved the overall feel of the gun in my hand.

Future Mods:

I do intend to color-fill the markings on the slide, and I'm going to get some fluorescent-glow-in-the-dark paint and retouch the sights.

I would love to get a set of rubberized replacement grips, but all I have seen are the dipped plastic grips from the factory, or custom carved wooden grips. I'll probably pick up a Hogue grip sleeve.

I may polish the feed ramp, but I won't bother if the gun feeds properly without it.

I will replace the take-down pin with the set-screw kit. I saw that someone had a kit for sale, but I have to find it again. It will make cleaning and dis-re- assembly a lot easier.

Overall

This is a working person's gun.

This gun is not a toy for people with lots of cash to throw around. It is not a fancy status symbol for trying to one-up the guys at the shooting club.

This gun is a tool for defending your family, your home, and your life.

It is simple, inexpensive, functional, and accurate.

It's also damned fun to shoot!:D

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Welcome to the Asylum.

Find a discarded bicycle inner-tube and cut a section (or 10) off of it about the height of your handgrip. Slip that on. Problem solved for free.

Like the Kel Tec PF9? Umm... "Snappy" is the word that usually comes up. I used to think it was pretty bad until I bought a Polish RADOM P64. It's nicknamed "The Polish Pounder" and it's positively brutal. The C9 is a *****cat in comparison. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. :)

I'm one of the few who says this is bullcrap. Nothing will break in or wear in without being cycled. Get a couple of those flat wood paint stirs and use 'em to shove the follower of your magazine down about 100 times. If you feel like it, disassemble the mag and lightly sand or radius the inner edge on the flat stampings of the feed lips. Make sure it's all bent back to factory spec when you put it back together. The mags are cheap and get bent out of spec too easily. I think the sheet metal is too thin. But when it's adjusted right, it works well.

Bicycle inner-tube.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 21, 2015

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to HPFF. You just earned yourself one hell of a fan base with that kind of review. The troops will be by soon enough to welcome you to the addiction.

Screw you Kirk. That's my line, until Plano steals it.

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I must say that for a new shooter your level of understanding/knowledge is commendable. Many new shooters do not take the time to research and learn before jumping in. You will do well here. :)

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Good job on your first time posting. Welcome from ND. We may have a keeper here.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm married so we both know that's not going to happen for me anytime soon. On the other hand, this is my birthday weekend so there might be a faint hope after all.

;)

can you feel my intense emotions of guilt transmitting through the internet?

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Welcome Johan!

8. Very interesting forum. I to recently bought my first Hi Point also from a pawn shop. I couldn't resist the price as I am a glock fan. I can say after 500 rounds maybe more I'm a fan of Hi Point also. I also experienced one ftf however it was from a newly purchased magazine. The gun has cycled well and very accurate. As a matter of fact just as accurate as I've seen in a handgun. I haven't got to shoot it that often lately due to teaching my wife how to shoot. She absolutely loves the gun and I believe where it's bigger framed it was easier for her to learn how to shoot because of having a lot of grip for her hands. I was worried about limp wristing but she has had not one problem. One thing I did do is took fine sand paper and sanded lightly the lips on both magazines especially where the ammo seats against the mag. So far I'm impressed especially with my wife's shooting. Maybe she will let me shoot it soon and she can shoot my glock.

9. Rerun

Rerun Member

JohanBroad, burris14,

Welcome to the Best Forum on the Internet!

Great report, JohanBroad (JB?)!

Glad You've both found that Hi-Points are firearms with real value to their owners!

Sto lat to the both of you!

eldar

10. Thank u elderbeast and agreed on Johannroad and his report. Thanks again

11. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Depends on the gun, really. I tried a Shield, Glock 43, XDs, Ruger LC9, and Glock 26. Of those, I like the 43 and XDs, both don't kick as much as you'd think, while the LC9 and Shield had more felt recoil than the other 2. The Glock 26 was awkward to hold with it's short stubby grip, which is odd, because the 43 felt comfortable in my hands.

12. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Thanks! I'm glad to be here! :)

That seems like a better idea than the Hogue grip because it wouldn't add as much bulk. Now I gotta find an old inner-tube...

I picked up some paint for the color fill and some fluorescent-glow-in-the-dark paint for the sights. I'll post pics when I get it done.

13. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Aww shucks! :blush: I just posted my observations.

I'll probably lurk more often than I post since I am still learning about Hi Points and firearms in general.

I'll probably have the n00b questions, but I promise to search the archives before posting.

As for the addiction, it has already set in; I am contemplating another C9 and a 995TS as well. I like the idea of my weapons using the same ammo, and 9mm seems like a good amount of punch for reasonable price-per round.

Now I just need to get my wife to see it that way.:p

14. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Thanks!
    I figure that buying a weapon required a bit of thought and deliberation.
    I have also found that if a lot of people are talking trash about something-cars, guns, bikes, people, etc. with little to no first hand experience,(like a lot of HP haters I've read!) It usually indicates that the truth is the exact opposite of the prevailing opinion.

So I am looking forward to learning about my gun, and I have been browsing older threads on the pistols as well as the carbines. I think this will be a fun ride!

15. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

Thanks from Southern Nevada!
    Glad to be here! I hope to post a more long-term review fairly soon!

16. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Hello and welcome from Indiana! :)

17. colthrash

colthrash Member

welcome from northern Nevada, up by Reno...

18. o78

o78 Member

Disassemble the mag using a qtip lube the spring & follower. Disconnect the mag safety helps a lot. Other then that use a good clp not gun oil when cleaning. Seems to work better & last longer. Since its your first gun. Function test it. Make sure its not gunked up. Rack the slide once in a while and dry fire it once to keep it working good.

19. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Enjoy your C9! In my opinion Hi Points are fine firearms, a working man's gun, if you will. My Hi Point is a CF380. Bought it used, never fired, with 100 rounds of Remington ball for $100. Would have been a steal at twice that. The only modification to mine is a set of rubberized Traction Grips. Well worth the $10 they cost me. Good texture, does not increase the size of the grip anymore than a section of inner-tube. I have used tubes, they work, but I will be using Traction Grips from here on. Future modifications are going to be a set of Mahan sights, possibly a Joey Keychain, and a paint job, most likely in a Star Wars Storm Trooper theme, waiting on the 3895TS before I do that (or I could just leave them be, that are already in the rebellion theme!...yes, I'm a Star Wars junkie!) I have thought about the take down screw set you mentioned, but see no real value to it, you still have to use a tool to take it down, however, I do agree that an Allen key is simpller to keep on you than a hammer and punch!

As far as looks, yeah, it's blocky, has a big honking slide, but for grins and giggles, weigh a Ruger P85, which most people rave about, then weigh your C9, I think you will be surprised at what you find!

Mine has been flawless, except for some reloads using XTP's, that none of my 380's liked. No issues with any factory rounds I have tried. It's normal diet is the Lee 103 gr 1R, and more recently the Lee TL95 grain RF. Eats those with gusto. No modifications to mine at all! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I carry mine daily, it's my car gun, and it stays on my nightstand during sleeping hours. Don't normally CCW it, but regardless of what others say, you can. Conceals fairly easily. As for confidence, I offered it to my daughter to protect her and my grandkids. That says a lot. Unfortunately (fortunately for me!) She went to the dark side and got a Glock 42.

Enjoy your C9, I think you will. If I were to do anything different, it would have been to get a C9 instead as the C9 seems to be built around the 9mm cartridge. But, the price was right and I am a fan of the 380 cartridge.

Last edited: May 27, 2015