Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new in the box mossburg maverick at my local mc sporting goods store yesterday, not a bad deal i don't think, they had it listed for 249.00 but it was 70 bucks off, so 179 plus tax otd, now i just gotta wait until i can afford to get all the goodies for it, first thing i wouldn't mind having is the pistol grip for it.
Saw some 000 buck shot shells yesterday also at the local gander mountain store, but i think thats a little big for a home defense round, haha., oh i forgot to mention that its a 12 gauge with the 24 inch rifled barrel, good for slugs or shot sheels

·
Registered
84 Posts
double check that its ok to shoot shoot shell thru it if its rifled. i was under the impression that rifled barrels are for slugs only. could cause problems with rifling in slug barrel. just my .02

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you can find one, pick up an 18.5" Mossy barrel for it for home defense use and save the rifled barrel for hunting or SHTF use with slugs/sabots.

You could probably use shot shells without much issue, but it may be a PITA to clean (versus cleaning after slugs/sabots). I don't think steel shot would be a good idea in a rifles barrel though, but that is more gut feel than based on specific knowledge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had asked that very question about shooting regular shot shelss thru the rifled barrel to the guy who runs my local gun shop 4 blocks from my house, and he had told me or should i say he asked me what surrounds the lead shot until it reaches the end of the barrel?, and i had to think for a sec and then said the wad did, and then he said there ya go, and that i MIGHT have a very small problem with leading and the rifled barrell but thatn i should be just fine.
I do eventually want to get the short barrel but for now i am stuck wiht the rifled one, my question to the readers on the forum here would be , do i have to change mag tube too if and when i get the 18.5 inch barrel or is the 5 shot tube gonna work?, guess maybe the mag tube cap is in the same place on all barrels just that there is more barrel sticking out past the cap area.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I had asked that very question about shooting regular shot shelss thru the rifled barrel to the guy who runs my local gun shop 4 blocks from my house, and he had told me or should i say he asked me what surrounds the lead shot until it reaches the end of the barrel?, and i had to think for a sec and then said the wad did, and then he said there ya go, and that i MIGHT have a very small problem with leading and the rifled barrell but thatn i should be just fine.
I do eventually want to get the short barrel but for now i am stuck wiht the rifled one, my question to the readers on the forum here would be , do i have to change mag tube too if and when i get the 18.5 inch barrel or is the 5 shot tube gonna work?, guess maybe the mag tube cap is in the same place on all barrels just that there is more barrel sticking out past the cap area.
you will get a donut pattern if shooting shotshells in a fully rifled bbl. see here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=835654&page=1

this is a quote from tthis thread. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=179361

"As the pellet cup contacts the rifling on it's way down the barrel, it startes to fail. Then the lead comes in contact with the rifling leaving little pieces behind. What's happening in the barrel is pretty violent stuff. Your basically taking shrapnel form an explosion containing it and then redirecting it down a narrow corridore. Woe to he who stands at the end of the corridore."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i figured i would start looking for either an 18.5 inch smooth barrel or the 20 inch one, i had no idea it was gonna be this hard to find the dang things, anybody got a fav store that carries mossburg barrels at a decent price?

·
Registered
84 Posts
no problem just switching barrels(when/if) you find one. you are correct in that the mount is in the same place on the barrels. good luck finding one. dont know if i'd trust the gun store guy. i'd be afraid to shoot shot shells thru it. he's right in that sabot slugs and shot shells have the "wad" around them but the slugs is a lot thicker than shot shells. but this is just my .02.

·
Banned
1,730 Posts
Just mt 2 cents but yes you are right that the wad will protect the barrel however the rifleing screws with the pattern I am not sure abut a 12 ga however on my 20ga the pattern of the shot was hrrable at 21 feet It was almost like a 5in barrel as out of the 20 bbs only 3 hit a man size target might be good for crowd control though...LOL :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found a nice used 30 inch full choke barrel at another gun shop by where i live and took it home and took a hacksaw to it, i had to even out the cut on my bench sander but it turned out really good, i put a nice chamfer on the inside with a round stone, then used some cold blue to finish the cut portion up.
I was quite surprised by how tight the pattern still was with the barrel being 19 inches long, must still be around 8 inches at 25 feet.
I did find out one thing when i had it at the range and thats that i def do not like 3 inch slugs!, them doggone things kick like a mule on steroids.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Found a nice used 30 inch full choke barrel at another gun shop by where i live and took it home and took a hacksaw to it, i had to even out the cut on my bench sander but it turned out really good, i put a nice chamfer on the inside with a round stone, then used some cold blue to finish the cut portion up.
I was quite surprised by how tight the pattern still was with the barrel being 19 inches long, must still be around 8 inches at 25 feet.
I did find out one thing when i had it at the range and thats that i def do not like 3 inch slugs!, them doggone things kick like a mule on steroids.
When I was a kid just starting hunting, my dad wouldn't let me use a high powered rifle. Instead he let me use a 870 12 ga w/a fixed 2.5 power scope and 3" mag slugs. I used that gun to take several deer from about age 11-14. One day my dad used my slug gun to shoot a doe and said "man that thing really kicks" he weighed about 220 lbs and I weighed about 100 lbs. I said yeah how would you like to be my size shooting that thing. He let me buy a rifle for the next season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.