New sign at Wally world

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by nicadflyer, Jan 10, 2008.

1. I was at Wally world and saw a new sign in sporting goods. Basically it says you must be 21 y/o to purchase multi use ammo. Anyone else see this?

2. haven't seen the sign but its a policy the dumbasses from corpate have been enforcing for a while now. The more experienced associates(and ones that know you, keep in mind i'm 20 and shoot mostly .40) understand how retarded it was for them to ask the "is this for a rifle or a pistol" before the sale. I don't have any trouble generally but some guys I know have.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Tell them it's for a HP 4095, if you have one or not. I was buying BB's and knives from walmart when i was 11.
    I know they want you to be 21 for pistol ammo, 18 for rifle ammo, but I've not seen a sign at my wally world like that. I always thought it was a known thing.

4. It's a federal offense to lie about what it's for... just FYI.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I don't go into wally world LOL I hate that place. The one here always has to fill the lanes with crap so no one can walk!

6. browwiw

browwiw Member

I don't like big-box stores like Wally World either. But, (and I admit this as much grudging as possible) many recent studies have shown that WalMarts actually tend to encourage economic growth in their local economies.

That said, I have more of a "think global, thrive local" mindset when it comes to my purchasing.

7. griff30

griff30 Member

I remember buying boxes of ammo for what ever I wanted as a kid in my early teens at walmart. Makes me old I geuss. They sold us boxes of ammo at Boy Scout camp too at the exchange....

8. pills

pills Guest

Never heard of that before. So if I tell them it is for my Rifle but shoot it in my handgun I have just committed a felony.

Care to cite the statute?

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

+1 to pills, especially since the clerk is not any type of bonded servant of the public (Officer, Constable, or Deputy)

10. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

I believe he meant it is a violation to lie about it to get around the under 21 restriction. 18 U.S.C. 922(D)(1)-(9). That is the law that prohibits persons under 21 from buying handgun ammo. So if a 19 year old lies and says hey is buying the ammo for a rifle, he is in violation of the law. Same as if he had presented a fake ID and told the truth about it being for a handgun.

11. Their store their rules, I see no problem with it

12. pills

pills Guest

Been a while for me but this is what I come up with for your

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html

Unless I just can't read you have cited the wrong one.

13. I haven't seen those signs here yet. Maybe I just haven't seen them because I have never looked. Doesn't seem like all that bad a policy to me, tho.

14. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Could be, I just copied that down from someone else. :oops:

How about 922 (a) (6)

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;

15. pills

pills Guest

Not to split hairs with you but I do not think there is a requirement for stores to be licensed to sell ammunition. At least not on the federal level. I may be wrong though.

Good job on the second citation though. ;)

16. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

I don't know, but Wal Mart is an FFL holder

EDIT: more info
    Does federal law place any age restriction on ammunition sellers and purchasers?

Under federal law, it is illegal to sell (1) long gun ammunition to anyone under age 18 and (2) handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)). According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement applies.

Does federal law require a person engaged in the business of selling small arms ammunition to be licensed?

Federal law does not require a person dealing solely in ammunition to be licensed. But it requires ammunition manufacturers and importers to be licensed (18 USC 922(a)(1)(B)).

17. pills

pills Guest

Good info all the way. So far nothing I have seen or found says it is a federal offense to lie to the guy at the counter about your ammo.

The way I see it is kinda like liquor here in Oklahoma. If you sell a minor liquor (not our low point beer) you can be charged with a felony. If the minor is in possession it is a misdemeanor.

18. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Well, it is if the seller is an ffl holder and you are under 21 and are buying it for a handgun.