'New' SKS

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Carbin8r, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

Well, it may not be technically new, but it was never issued. Ordered this from CenterFire Systems. It was listed a "New condition", and they mean it!
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=618

Got it a couple days ago, spent a couple hours cleaning all the cosmoline (what fun)...and here she is (waited to post until I had pics)

Heading out to the range with it shortly. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweet, it looks great. I still can't believe how much those things have went up in price over the past two years. I bought my issued one(kinda rough) for 110 bucks, and at that time a new one right out of the crate was 150.

3. That is one nice looking SKS....... Wish it was mine LOL

4. neothespian

neothespian Member

Wow. Nice SKS! The one I'm looking at is $149 and that needs resto work. It would take me $189 to $249 to find something that nice. Good score!

5. Ari

Ari Guest

Those are great photos! The third one is really a nice photo. What are you using for a camera and lights?

Oh and that SKS is very clean. Keep her stock :D

6. That has to be the best looking SKS I have ever seen. Talk about SCORE! Treat your new baby well my friend.

7. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

Thanks.

It's my wife's Panasonic Lumix. Built-in lens stabilization, macro capability, and on-baord flash. I just popped in into Adobe to bring out the shadows a little more.

Photography is one of my hobbies, so I know a lot of the little tricks to get the most out of a camera and image...

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

Dude, I JUST picked up a Panasonic Lumix. It's only 6mp, but with the quality lense and double the optical zoom of any camera on the market, I felt it was worth the $75 at Bookman's used books and media store in Flag!

9. I likey. I don't know anything about SKS's except I want one.

10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

The SKS is a Russian 7.62x39mm caliber semi-automatic carbine, designed in 1945 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. SKS is an acronym for Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova (Russian: ???????????? ??????? ??????? ????????), 1945 (Self-loading Carbine, Simonov's system, 1945), or SKS 45. The SKS carbine was rather quickly phased out of first-line service, replaced by the AK-47, but remained in second-line service for decades afterwards. It remains a ceremonial arm even today. It was widely exported and produced by the former Eastern Bloc nations, as well as China, where it was designated the "Type 56" (and, in modified form, the "Type 68"), East Germany as the "Karabiner S" and in North Korea as the "Type 63". It is today popular on the civilian surplus market in many countries. The SKS was the first weapon chambered for the 7.62x39mm M43 round later used in the AK-47 and RPK.

11. That is very nice. I've been looking at them too and I want one.

12. Nice weapon. I love my Yugo SKS also!
    Aries

13. urotu

urotu Member

That's a very pretty SKS, good score. With very lttile maintenance it'll last a lifetime.

An SKS is on my long "to own" list, not my next purchase, but a someday gun.

14. The SKS is like the AK in the fact that there is little to go wrong, and if something does go wrong there is a good chance that it can be manufactured if need be.

They are good rifles for the SHTF scenario.

15. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

looks good man! makes me miss mine!!! lol

16. elguapo

elguapo Guest

That is one nice SKS! Unissued? I can tell by the immaculate finish on the blued parts.
    One day, I will refurbish my Norinco back to how it looked, brand new.

17. Nice rifle man, I have been wanting one for a while, I might get one eventually.