Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 29th 2021

The great sniper rifle replacement across the Army, Marine Corps and Special Operations Command has begun with the newest sniper rifle and it's the Barrett Multi-Role Adaptive Design rifle chambered in three calibers.

Over the next five years, the MRAD will replace the Army's existing M107 sniper rifle and M2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle under the Precision Sniper Rifle program, and all bolt action rifles in the Marines, delivering conversion options so that snipers can choose from 7.62 x 51 millimeter, .300 Norma Magnum and .338 Norma Magnum, depending on their shooting needs.

The military designation for the rifle will be the Mark 22 (Mk22), which is the nomenclature for the PSR.

"The Army plans to purchase Multi-Role Adaptive Rifle (MRAD) systems for Foreign Military Sales and Precision Sniper Rifles (PSR) systems for Army Snipers and EOD personnel," PEO Soldier spokesman told the website Task & Purpose. "The MRAD is one component of the PSR."

Marine Corps budget documents from early 2020 noted that the "ASR will replace all current bolt-action sniper rifles in the Marine Corps."

Those documents cited a purchase of 250 MRAD rifles for the Corps.

Read more and watch the video at: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...-sniper-rifle-for-the-army-marines-and-socom/

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wonder how much longer the Mark 11 (or SR-25) rifles will be used in the United States armed forces. I did not like the M-40 rifle as it used an internal magazine. (It sure was an accurate long gun though.) I like detachable magazines as they aid in faster reloads.

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
They might need to look at the 6mm ARC round.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard the 6.8 x 51 millimeter cartridge will end up being the new military round so no need for the 6 millimeter ARC round. I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
I heard the 6.8 x 51 millimeter cartridge will end up being the new military round so no need for the 6 millimeter ARC round. I could be wrong though.
They have been talking about the 6.8 for what 10+ years? The ARC is alreadyout there in civilian hands and works in the standard AR15 frame. Light weight vs the .308.

Look around for shooting reviews.

Official Hornady video. IIRC very flat shooting way out there..............

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I wonder how much longer the Mark 11 (or SR-25) rifles will be used in the United States armed forces. I did not like the M-40 rifle as it used an internal magazine. (It sure was an accurate long gun though.) I like detachable magazines as they aid in faster reloads.
The A5's use a 10 round detachable box mag.

And don't expect the SR25/MK11 to go anywhere anytime soon. They're now the M110 SASS. H&K is contracted to start delivering G28 CSASS variants to replace the M110 for urban combat teams, freeing up M110's to be issued to Army and Marine Corps spotters and squad Designated Marksmen. The Navy ordered a bunch of 6.5 creed kits to upgrade their KAC M110's.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Navy ordered a bunch of 6.5 Creedmoor kits to upgrade their KAC M110s.
So they will be using 6.5 Creedmoor and 7.62 x 51 in the Navy long range rifles. I wonder if they will sell the surplus M-40 rifles to the American public. Doubtful. I remember hearing Bill Clinton order them to dump loads of surplus M-14 rifles into the ocean rather than sell them or any of their parts to the American public.

·
Premium Member
35,662 Posts
I watched some video about the new Barrett, it comes with spare barrels, mags and maybe a bolt to shoot .308, and .300 and .338 Norma Mag.

No 6.5 planned, so the Navy can suck it.

"While the MRAD can utilize 6 different cartridges, Jane's reports that both branches will buy the rifle with the intention of using the longstanding 7.62x51mm NATO round, in addition to .300 and .338 Norma Magnum plus the conversion kits required for the last two rounds."

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
They have been talking about the 6.8 for what 10+ years? The ARC is alreadyout there in civilian hands and works in the standard AR15 frame. Light weight vs the .308.

Look around for shooting reviews.

Official Hornady video. IIRC very flat shooting way out there..............

That looks cool too, but you're talking about an M16 platform versus the PRS in a medium caliber. But that ARC looks great for a small frame...

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
That looks cool too, but you're talking about an M16 platform versus the PRS in a medium caliber. But that ARC looks great for a small frame...
It may be a great compromise. It is pretty accurate to 1000yds and possibly further. Toting a .308 rig up and down the hills can be a challenge to many soldiers. Don't forget, we have the ladies to consider too.

·
Premium Member
35,662 Posts
It may be a great compromise. It is pretty accurate to 1000yds and possibly further. Toting a .308 rig up and down the hills can be a challenge to many soldiers. Don't forget, we have the ladies to consider too.
No, we don't.

There won't be "many soldiers" toting this system.

You'd have to be selected, go to, and pass Sniper school.

If you can't tote it...that doesn't happen.

And compromise is why we're doing this whole thing in the first place. The .308 was a compromise to begin with. It was ok enough to be a medium/light MG round, while being mostly as good as a general issue 30-06, only being better due to weight, but being worse as a sniper round.

Compromises have to be made. But sometimes they aren't good compromises.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
WTF? Are you going on about?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts