New thing to deal with the wildfires in my area

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by USMC_VET, Jun 26, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

With the mtns behind me burning for over a week and now 26k acres burned 19% containment , we now have another threat . We've got numbnuts flying drones in the fire areas which is now stopping the firefighting aircraft from getting their job done

Last nite we had a fire breakout along a ridge close by to me and it erupted quickly . Would have been easy to get aircraft into there like Cal Fire #912 a Dc10-300 VLAT . Nope once again they had to stop the Air attack because of people flying drones

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Arm the planes with AtA and shoot the drones down. ;)

Seriously, however, it sounds like some drone operators are in violation of the law. Isn't there a law which prohibits interference with firefighting operations? Get the news orgs to widely publicize that you could pay huge fines or even go to jail and it'll probably take care of most of them. Track down and fine/jail the remaining and that should take care of the rest.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. just run them over, I have seen and used theses "drones" multiple times 6lb is the biggest, and they cost $1,000+. If a plane can take a bird hit, it can take a drone easier, no messy flesh or feathers to gum stuff up.

And the operators will get sick of there money being wasted fast

4. Rerun

Rerun Member

Back when I served aboard the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), an Aviation Electronic Technician Third was standing next to an RF-8G Crusader with wheel chocks in one hand and nothing in the other during a 36 hour Flight Ops.

He had been awake for more than 20 hours and hadn't eaten in more than 5 hours when he said he felt that the plane he was standing next to had shut down for some unknown reason.

So, he stuck his empty hand in front of the intake and lost his glove, watch, and sleeve. He jerked his hand back and, when he realized that the planes engine was FODding, set his chocks onto the deck and tried to calmly walk away.

Unfortunately for him, the plane captain noticed his missing sleeve and ran over to stop him. The pilot immediately shut down his bird but, the damage had been done.

A glove, sleeve from a long sleeve shirt and a watch doesn't weigh any where near 6 pounds but, was more than enough to kill this engine.

eldar

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's probably the media flying the drones.:rolleyes:

Marine, you have a .308 set up for long distance...get to work!

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

All it would take to get rid of the UAV's ( they are not drones ) is to equip fire vehicles with a signal jammer set to jam on the frequency ranges they use. Drop them right into the fire. ;)

7. USMC_VET

The fire near me last night not sure how CDF or Cal Fire officers did it but they did track down and arrest the person who was operating the drone inside the fire lines . I think he was found about a 1/2 mile away inside a residential area

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good. Probably triangulated on his frequency.

They're basically nothing more than jumped up RC copters.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Doubt they have the gear to triangulate. They probably just drove around until they saw the guy with the controller.:p

Although after a week, it's not hard to imagine they got the gear, or called in some Nat'l Guard unit, it's not like it's new age or expensive.

Wonder if the guy was streaming to the 'web...that's another way they could have tracked him down, and relatively easy as well.

10. USMC_VET

Seems to be popular right now because both the Lake fire and the Sterling fire there has been reports of drones at both of them and have been seen multiple times . This is the first time I've heard of Cal Fire and CDF suspending flight ops of their aircraft due to the use of drones in the area

Also the Lake Fire which is located inside the San Gorgonio wilderness and outside in the San Bernardino forest has become the largest fire in the area in many decades . This morning after a flight around the fires perimeter they now over 30k acres burned and still only 19% containment . Right now it is threatening over 7500 structures and making its way towards Big Bear

This fire is reminding residents of the deadly Panorama fire back in November 1980 with 23k acres burned when it destroyed over 200 homes

11. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

If only we could drain all this flood water in the mid west and move it out to Cali for the fires and filter the rest for extra drinking water for the state.

12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Just shoot the first few you catch operating drones and it will stop.

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Gain altitude over the drone and dump, the water will smash it into the ground!

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good old Cali...laws in some counties to require new houses to have solar power, but you want to build in a place that gets ripped by wildfire every few years, on the ashes of the last house...sure, go ahead, no problem.:rolleyes:

Seriously....it's a bunch of bushes, in a desert. It's going to burn, folks!

15. USMC_VET

I remember all to well the October 2003 firestorm in which the Old fire , Grand Prix fire and Cedar fire burned a total of 880k acres that weekend

The fires burned so intensely that ash was falling 90 miles to the west in Huntington Beach Ca .The ash was thick enough to cover a car completely in ash

16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Only way I would build in a fire zone is if the construction was fireproof and I could keep a 500 foot circle cleared around the house!

17. smills41

smills41 Member

oh Mary, Mary, Mary. Think of all the tit mouse and spotted owl habitat you would destroy. ;) . Not enough to stand around(in the way), now their flying in ;(

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Roasted Spotted Owl, yummy. :D

19. USMC_VET

Watching some of the fire coverage in the mtns , firefighters were spraying a fire retardant like liquid from their hoses onto structures . They would completely soak the cabins with this chemical to protect from the advancing fire

They also were wrapping cabins or structures with a fire resistant blanket and this did protect one old historic cabin from the fire

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Great. More tax dollars used to protect the foolish rich.:rolleyes:

Insurance must be high there, too?