Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I was gonna put this in pistol section since I'm asking some specifics but decided it's probably better in the General section...)

I'm a long-time rifle shooter. For more than 20 years, been shooting everything from milsurps and new AR15s to commercial hunting rifles. I tried my first Hi-Point (a 995) a few months ago and I'm hooked. Accurate, inexpensive and well-made; what more could you ask for, right?

Anyhow, I finally decided to apply for a pistol permit in my beloved People's Republik of New York. I'm working on the ten pages of questions and signing up for the safety class and fingerprinting. The way it works here is, you need to buy a handgun before you apply for the permit. Of course, you can't take that handgun out of the gunshop but you need to pay for it and put the serial number on your permit application!

I checked out a bunch of new and used guns. I liked some and didn't like others. I realized I was probably gonna end up spending $400 or $500 on a used gun with 100,000 miles on it and no warranty. So I asked my dealer, "Can you get me a Hi-Point?"

My brand new C9 is expected next week. I feel a lot better spending $179 for a new firearm with a great warranty than spending twice that for a used firearm because of the name. Assuming my application is approved (takes up to six months around here!), the gun is mine.

Any advice, suggestions on ammo, holsters, any other tips, appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was interested in a .45 first. He said I can't get a .45 or a .40 but one C9 is available now.

So, I figured cheap ammo means more practice. 8)

Getting my C9 is the easy part; waiting two, four or six months and hoping my county gives me the OK is the hard part!

·
Banned
4,876 Posts
Man that WOULD suck. Hope your time passes quickly. Buy ammo while you're waiting, that will help out and you'll be ready when the great day arrives. You will love your C9 once you get it broke in....just be patient and enjoy it. :welcome:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You'll love the C9. That kind of wait really sux. Reminds me of my current wait for reloading tools.

G

·
I had a c9 but sold it cuz I needed sum quick cash I really miss it though it was a great little gun.Never had any real problems with any ammo but I dont think i ever used any jhps. I have a hi point 45 now and love it but am having some double feeding probs w the hollow points, but it shoots fmjs great exept for wolf they are horrible.They cause a jam about every 3 shots !Any body got any ammo tips on the hi point 45?

G

·
You will be very happy with the C9. I have fed mine all kinds of ammo and it eats it all up with no complaint - even relaods.
Like others have said - while you wait, stock up on ammo because the C9 is so much fun to shoot you will fly through the ammo.

Enjoy :welcome:

·
Registered
28 Posts
The way things are looking, they will be carrying concealed in Chicago soon enough. The CCW bill was sponsored by a Democrat (shocker) and has passed the Illinois house. Then Wusseconsin will be all that's left. That will open the door for the nation wide federal CCW with reciprocity in all 50 states!!! Can't wait!!!

By the way, great choice on the C9, that's one that I have too and love it!

·
Registered
315 Posts
What happens IF You get rejected, does the gun dealer refund moneys;
Do gun dealers have a time limit on You getting your permit;
Why does NY have a person purchase a firearm first before getting a permit;
what happens after You get your permit and gun, now You want to purchase another firearm, is there another process????
Just curious how NY works.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, very good questions.

- my gunshop will give me full credit for what I paid, in the event I am turned down. They won't give me a refund, since they held a gun all that time that they may have sold to someone else- I can't blame them- but I don't lose the money. So, if I'm turned down, there's $179 towards my next rifle or ammo purchase!

-If you have a permit and want another gun, you have to send a form to the county. They can approve or not approve your new gun. Supposedly, it takes a month or so for the process.

Insane, isn't it?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, that is insane!

The C9 is a very gun to have. I like it even more than the .45 . Pretty soon you'll have the entire HiPoint collection........it's a disease. (Get the 995 next)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that is insane!

The C9 is a very gun to have. I like it even more than the .45 . Pretty soon you'll have the entire HiPoint collection........it's a disease. (Get the 995 next)
Already have a 995 and a 4095! :embarrassed2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.