New to HP, just bought a JCP

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Yamahammer, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Yamahammer

Yamahammer Member

Hello, I have recently acquired a 40 jcp used. It didn't have a mag so I just bought a new one but its giving me some fits. Any advice on that? Then I went to disassemble and clean it but possibly found a crack in the frame right behind the doll head close to the seam in between the two grips. Should I call mom or is something to even worry about? BTW its an older style JCP with no guide rod (or maybe its just missing?) and a drilled trigger instead of slotted

Thanks a million!!

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I'd call Mom, they'll probably want to give it a go over, and you may get another mag out if it....
    And welcome to the forum!

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Pictures would help.

It is a polymer frame, right.

4. Yamahammer

Yamahammer Member

Yes it is a polymer frame gun. Id say it might be 5 years old. I have been shooting it and haven't noticed any change in the crack (if it is one) I tried to take a picture of inside the cylinder but you cant see anything. With a light though you can see some discoloration on the inside where it seems to be. Sorry for the picture quality

Thank you so much.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That doesn't look like a crack, entirely. It almost looks like a gouge. Can you see if it goes all the way through?

As far s the guide rod goes, there is none. The Hi Point website should Have a .pdf of the literature that comes with the pistol. It contains an exploded view of all of the parts, and you will see what should and should not be there.

6. Yamahammer

Yamahammer Member

Well the thing is I can see it travel over the top and starts back down maybe a 1/4 in. Just cant get a good angle at with the camera. It might have been there from the start I really don't know. Just wanna be safe

Thanks

7. Think1st

Florida
    That certainly does sound like it might be a crack. Given the fact that it's behind the doll's head, maybe the forces on the frame caused structural fatigue. Try to get pictures of the rest of the crack, using a flashlight to show more of it, and send them to MoM. They may decide that it needs sent in.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Are we sure that isn't just a seam from casting?:confused:

I mean, I know the long one is...

9. Think1st

Florida
    I thought he was just talking about the casting seem. When zoomed in though, that other little line is to the left side of the seem, and their shouldn't be one there.

10. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Any word on what mom said about this?

11. Yamahammer

Yamahammer Member

Sorry for the late reply. Couldn't access the forum from any computer I had. Anyways called mom, was just told to send it in. Which I am doing tomorrow. Ill keep you posted

Thanks everybody again!