Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wanted a newer car and needed a little more cash. He offered me his 2007 Mercury Montego Premier, 124,000 miles on it, for $2500. I said okay just to help him out. A week went by and then he bought a 2015 Ford Focus and I now have a Mercury sitting in my garage. I have never been much for luxury cars. I drive around an old Mazda Mini Van. My wife drives a 2013 Hyundai Accent we bought new in 2013.
However this Montego is absolutely fantastic. The paint shines like new. Except for the drivers seat, the leather interior looks like new and I feel like I am driving a new car. Cant hear or feel the engine running. My wife really likes it and It looks like she will be driving it the most...lol !!! It has so many unfamiliar bells and whistles I had to study the owners manual to figure out how to use them all. Dual climate control, programable seat and pedals for two people, heated seats and mirrors, the usual key fob control plus 5 button programable keyless entry that opens the doors and trunk. First vehicle I have owned that has a sun roof. The trunk is absolutely huge. The 18" tires are barely used and the battery is a month old.
Now the negative: It only had one key so my friendly, local locksmith cut and programmed a second one plus cut me a door only key for $75. The lid on the center console rattled and a small piece of foam fixed that. The headlight lenses were dull so buffed them back to clear. Anyway, I have been having a ball with this old car and my friend loves his little Ford Focus so everyone is happy.

·
Premium Member
35,832 Posts
We had the Mercury version of the Ford Fusion, the Milan, with AWD and a 3.0 V6. Pretty nice little ride.

Reactions: fatal-bert33

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Had to look it up. Not a bad looking car. Can’t hardly buy much car for $2500. You got a deal I think. I would of jumped all over it!

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
I missed out on a '97 Park Avenue Ultra last week. 92K on the clicker, little old lady car at a used car dealer. $4800 asking price. Pics showed it was like showroom new.

Redo your coolant and thermostat. Those motors are famous for head gaskets going due to negligence of changing the coolant. Other than that I hope it lasts a long time!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I missed out on a '97 Park Avenue Ultra last week. 92K on the clicker, little old lady car at a used car dealer. $4800 asking price. Pics showed it was like showroom new.
EDITED

Your lucky you didn't get that '97 Buick. My stepson got a '97 Century and it was a great car and I did some maintenance work and replaced some engine sensors as CEL was lit, but overall good work car with only 140K on odo , UNTIL the brake ABS module decided to go out 6 months into owning during the coldest spell of winter when temps were -10 to -30 below 0. Ok, shouldn't be hard to replace. Yeah right. Come to find out, this was the ONLY year built by Buick and I'm sure other GM's of this year are same, that when one replaces the ABS module, that it needs to be reprogrammed to vehicle and guess where that has to be done ---- stealership only. Went to salvage yard. Now looking for another decent vehicle.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
EDITED

Your lucky you didn't get that '97 Buick. My stepson got a '97 Century and it was a great car and I did some maintenance work and replaced some engine sensors as CEL was lit, but overall good work car with only 140K on odo , UNTIL the brake ABS module decided to go out 6 months into owning during the coldest spell of winter when temps were -10 to -30 below 0. Ok, shouldn't be hard to replace. Yeah right. Come to find out, this was the ONLY year built by Buick and I'm sure other GM's of this year are same, that when one replaces the ABS module, that it needs to be reprogrammed to vehicle and guess where that has to be done ---- stealership only. Went to salvage yard. Now looking for another decent vehicle.
I have a 2005, and 1997 Lesabres. They have electrical gremlins. The '97 did a 1000mi last week to NC and back. Used no oil, got 29mpg, didn't skip a beat. It was 186K on it. The '05 has 208K. I would drive them anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts