New to me sks

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by 0311, Oct 3, 2015.

1. 0311

0311 Member

Been looking for one of these for about a year now. Friend of mine let me shoot hers, been on the hunt ever since. Picked this one up in a trade last night.

Numbers match. Stock & bluing are in very good condition.

Will take it to the range next week. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Attached Files:

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That is something that I would like to have--a new-manufactured SKS. I have a 1956 Jinjang Armory 26 SKS, and I only bought it because those were all that were available. I was able to add an SKS to my collection with it, and it shoots well enough, but I would love to have one of those late-model commercial norinco SKSs just because it would have so much more life left in it, meaning more trips to the range over its lifetime.

Mine still has a lot of good rifling, but a commercial one would have even more.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

NICE Socks!!!

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its got nice color. That's the only thing holding me back from buying one is all the ones that have come up locally have been ugly colors. I want a nice deep red one and i don't want to refinish it if i don't have to.

5. 0311

0311 Member

I heard that the Chinese made about 14 million of these. Mine is a high 12 million serial #. The thing looks real good. I haven't torn it apart yet, looks clean & well lubed, so I'll shoot it first.

The socks are new too !

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

There were (all estimated numbers):

17000 Albanian

24 million chinese

10000 east german

2000 vietnamese

10000 romanian

750000 russian

3 million yugoslavian.

Based on what i found googling real quick.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Out of the 17000 Albanians about 9000 were destroyed in disarmament programs in the 90-ies.
    Several productions years are very rare like only 450-ish remaining.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

The east german surprised me. I was unaware they had even produced one.

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

What country of origin?
    I hot a Yugo one and it has a knife blade bayonet. That one looks like a Mosin conversion or something with the bayonet on it

10. 0311

0311 Member

It's got Chinese symbols. Drawing a blank about the rest of your statement.

11. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The Chinese manufactured them with spoke bayonets, starting in the '70s. That is why it doesn't have the blade bayonet.

13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Yes to this. You can do some research and find the factory etc. About the only Chinese factory you can get an actual year of manufacture for is 26 I believe.

I did find some info on factory 106 (the one I have) also but that was more of a date range...

Every now and then I poke around more on the web, but info is hard to come by.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I have a Romanian.

Must have been secret police issue or something, as it's got a "tactical" black textured paint job on it.

Or maybe Bubba was bored.:rolleyes:

But I paid $169, so I'm not griping.:p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  15. rebelyankee

rebelyankee Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Great gun the SKS. Very reliable, and a bit more accurate than the AK. Although they can be equipped with high capacity magazines, they are not magazine dependent with the stock 10 round, which can be fed very quickly with strippers from the top, or dropped into the magazine purdy quick from the bottom as well. I've got a beautiful like new Russian Tula 1956 with all matching numbers in a laminated stock in my collection. Love the brush cutting, jungle busting 7.62 X 39 mm round in the stand alone SKS platform. Good SHTF WROL option when resupply is non existent, or limited, you will not find yourself scavenging for magazines, only ammo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  16. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Youre going to love the SKS. There's plenty of ways to trick it out, if youre inclined to do so. IMHO, theyre better than AKs. Just get a site tool so, you can site it in. They look like a "C Clamp", very much woth the whole 10.00 for one.

I own 14 of the Chinese SKS's (bought them when they were 75.00....remember the good o' days?
    8 Yugos and
    1 Albanian.

The Albanian is pretty neat, it has a AK-ish charging handle knob.

SKS's are like HP's, they'll break the bank if you try to collect them.

17. missiledefender

Ive been told by fellow Gun Bunnies, that like the CZ-52 Rifles that came in a few years ago that the stocks were coated to cover repairs to the stocks. Just a "golly gee" thing.

18. missiledefender

OMG, I was so busy looking at the SKS, I missed the socks.

At least they are clean and have no holes...and we cant see his undies either:eek:

19. Socks are mandatory for rifle pics on this forum. Socks/feet or it didn't happen.