Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been looking into reloading for something to tinker with. only thing is theres so much out there...ive only got 2 calibers to reload 9mm and .223. i was looking at starting with 9mm since i shoot that the most. i was at my local GS today looking at what they had they had the lee 50th anniv kit (for 90) and the lee pro 1000 9mm (for 125). from what ive read it looks like the pro 1000 is pretty simple. anyone have and exp with either of these? pro n cons?
i did manage to get primers today (5000 for 150), ive got a bunch of brass already, and being a plumber ive got access to tons of lead (prob got about 500 lbs in the shed now)so i was looking at casting my own bullets. any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Ok, I own a Lee Pro 1000, as well as several guys on the forum to include Nicadflyer.

My experience with the Pro 1000 was at first a total bomb. I hated it, as it was hard to set up, hard to maintain, and just didn't work for craop.

HOWEVER, I wasn't doing it right, and now it is one of the easiest presses to work with. This press is a tad on the more finnicky side, and you have to set it up in a specific way. Now, for you, all you'd have to do is buy the press that's set for 9mm, then go to www.midwayusa.com and buy a separate shellholder, turret and dies that is already set up for .223 and you'd be set.

Now, if you're brand new to reloading, what I would actually recommend is for you to buy a turret press first and get used to the science of it before stepping up to a progressive. If you had the money for the Pro 1000, go ahead and buy it, as that's a DAMN good price for the press already set up for 9mm. It's also good to have more than one press, as I use my Lee 4 hole Turret press for making match grade pistol ammo, and my Pro 1000 for plinking ammo. I also have a Lee 3 hole turret press that I use for rifle loads.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM, or Nicadflyer and we'll answer them as quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
and being a plumber ive got access to tons of lead (prob got about 500 lbs in the shed now)so i was looking at casting my own bullets. any help will be appreciated
IMO, Lee makes good molds for the 9mm. My dad & little bro have used the Lee tumble lubed ones for years in the 9mm. You may want to check into using them.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I still would start with a single stage, or a turret. it is alot easier to screw up on a progressive press. You can always upgrade and sell your old kit later.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
My vote goes for the Lee Turret press. Oh so simple to use and it can be used as a single stage or semi progressive.

I cast my own boolits for 45acp and 9mm and it is very easy to do. I use Lee round nose molds of the tumble lube design. Both reloading and casting have a small learning curve and are a very enjoyable process for me.

Your lead mab be almost pure and could give you problems in casting without adding some tin (solder is a readily available source)to it for good mold fill out. Pure lead is also a bit on the soft side for smokeless powder applications and better suited for black powder use. Check out castboolits.com for tons of good info about boolit casting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ditto on what mules said. Mules will not lead you in the wrong direction. I got the Lee Deluxe Turret Press Kit (the 109.99 one) and I am more than pleased with it. I also got the 20# lee lead melting pot, I struggled between the 10# and 20# for weeks but I am glad I got the 20# because if I ever really want to crank out a lot of boolits I am capable and it was only like 13 bucks more. Also, I think the 20# pot makes casting easier on newbies because it has a mold guide on it so you dont have to hold the mold up, just slide it on mold guide.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
There's a lot to think about when you decide to start reloading. But the best advice I can give at this time is to find someone near you that reloads. It does not matter what the name of his reloading equipment is, what your looking for is the knowledge that he has. A mentor can show you what the steps and pitfalls are in this wonderful hobby.

That said. The price you stated for the Pro 1000 is very good and I would not hesitate to buy it. If you decide not to reload in the future it can be sold for about what you paid for it.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Go slow one step at a time when reloading every thing is easy . if something seams odd then stop find the problem fix it. The instruction listed in dies etc . is ok to use lot of folks reload here make use of their exp including mine

·
Registered
476 Posts
I still would start with a single stage, or a turret. it is allot easier to screw up on a progressive press. You can always upgrade and sell your old kit later.
+1 on that .. I bought the lee 50Th anniversary set last year it comes with everything you need to start minus dies for around 150-185 . Get the Lee factory crimp set as well . The turret sets are nice after you get the whole concept down and get your loads where you want them ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.