New to this spot

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by zathadaddy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zathadaddy

zathadaddy zathadaddy Member

I owned an older hi-point 45 acp, i bought it because i used an Astra for years, one of the only really nice "blow backs" available. called the plumbers nightmare by some, it was the hardest hitting 9 mm i have seen, including the German WW 9's:D
    when i took that top heavy 45 out and ran 100 dollars worth of Winchesters through it as fast as i could, i soon realized the "extra" weight really helped the blow=back pressure and kept my grouping tight!
    my questions , are there and manufactures that will make or offer a vert. shoulder strap for this heavy beast, and how about some rubber grips? i love this 2012 model 100's of times better than 10 years ago, but i want to carry this boat anchor believe it or not.
    by the way, all that ammo, no misfires!
    ---
    also they had crate of the mosin nagant 7.62x54, slathered in what seemed to be vasoline. they are selling them for @ 100 U.S. and come with bayonet, sling, ammo pouch, cleaning rods, and some other goodies for the saw-buck.
    my question again is the 7.62x54 a weird load that will make it useless in the future if i cannot reload my own ammo, or is this a commonly reloaded cartridge size? $100 is great for these guns with super clean bores and near perfect wood finishes, but i want to be able to shoot it in the future

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. zathadaddy

zathadaddy zathadaddy Member

i am going to accept serious responces at my email at [email protected]
    thank you for your experience, wisdom and time.

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 Member

Welcome to the board. New or Old, dem .45 JHPs can't be beat.
    I too love the extra weight they have, makes shoot'n enjoyable.

4. hipoint91

hipoint91 Well-Known Member

Id still by the nagant for collecting purposes. As u know probably the x54 isnt a wally world item. But who knows if these nagants could become the price hike like the skss....?

5. Never mind the serious responses, who are they?????

6. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    also they had crate of the mosin nagant 7.62x54, slathered in what seemed to be vasoline. they are selling them for @ 100 U.S. and come with bayonet, sling, ammo pouch, cleaning rods, and some other goodies for the saw-buck.
    my question again is the 7.62x54 a weird load that will make it useless in the future if i cannot reload my own ammo, or is this a commonly reloaded cartridge size? $100 is great for these guns with super clean bores and near perfect wood finishes, but i want to be able to shoot it in the future

These have become rather popular because of the price AND because they are cool rifles. I have three - two 91/30s and an M44 carbine and I love to shoot them. You can get a lot of information about them at 7.62x54r.net. The cartridge isn't really weird, just really big. And nothing else shoots it. I don't know about reloading them, but there's a ton of milsurp ammo out there (440 rounds for about $85-$90). Stuff tends to be corrosive though so you gotta clean the hell out of them (check out the stickies under Curio & Relic for info about that). As for the vaseline, it's cosmoline. There are a variety of ways to clean it out, but I find mineral spirits works well. They aren't hard to take down to clean. Then a light coat of oil. You might want to take the stock (just the wood - no metal) and hold it over dry heat (many use electric stove burners) to sweat the cosmoline out of the wood.