Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this handgun thing and i am kinda curious what i should go with. could i have some help on choosing what would be right size pistol for me?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was considering the hi point .45 acp but was wondering if the .40 was a better choice...i just want it for a home protection gun and one i can shoot at the range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
get the .40 then. i had a .40 and have a .45, they felt almost identical in size and weight but the .40 ammo is a little cheaper. dont ask me why i sold the .40 and not the .45, i dont think clearly at times lol

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know how it goes to not think clearly sometimes...Thanks for the recommendation to the .40.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am also a newbee and I went with 9mm 'cause i wanted a pistol and a long arm. I also wanted an inexpensive ammo to develop shooting skills at the range. The 9mm HP carbine 995TS is a pleasure to shoot and looks feirce. I ended up with a 9mm Ruger P95 and a HP C9 Comp pistols.

Then my father-in-law gave me a 1914 Mauser .32 ACP pistol. He took it off a German officer in 1945. The officer was pissed off because after Dad took it off his night stand, he was then woke up and marched downstairs without his pants! lol! A gunsmith stripped, lubed, reassembled and test fired the Mauser pistol. Well worth $50.

I now have pistol riches!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
best thing to do is goto a range that rents pistols and try out several. some will fit better than others, some will shoot better for you than others.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Its all personal preference. Nobody can tell you what gun to get except yourself. I will say that I would choose the .40 because of the availability of ammo and the price is a little cheaper. That is only because you have big hands. If you could, I'd still try out the C9 as thats a good reliable gun and ammo is even cheaper and starting to get more readily available. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
That was naughty of your father to not let that officer put his pants on. Now if he was an enlisted man he probably wouldn't have cared.

Go with the .40. Cheaper ammo and at least as much power as the .45.

I originally bought the .45 because it is a low pressure round and I had heard some horror stories of .40 S&W splitting cases in unsupported chambers. Also the brass is more likely to fail after reloading a couple of times.

The Hi-Point uses a fully supported chamber and now I have a .40 to go with my .45 and love it. It is a smooth shooter. The .45 has a little more "whack" to it's recoil.

Either way I would go with a large frame for home defense. My .40 and .45 are more reliable than my C9.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have the 12 gauge...but looking for something a little smaller...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea thats basically where it came from...used to be a pretty big fan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.