Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Step father bought this rifle abour 10 years ago, shot it twice, cleaned it and decided that it was too much work to clean and never shot it again. I asked him to borrow it so I would have something to shoot when a buddy of mine brakes out his cap and ball revolvers. He said if I clean it I could have it. It had been in the attic of his garage for about 5 years, and the surface was pretty rusted, but the bore was clean. I scrubed it for over an hour and there is still a way to go but here she is.

I was surprised at how accurate she was, even though I had a noticable jump when the pan lit up, I don't have the correct powder mesures so I had to use my reloading scales for the charge, and just eyeballed the pan charge, the second shot I took I over did it and it was quite a flash, but I still hit my target.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Nice addition! Just wait till CU sees it. He'll be jealous.

·
Registered
366 Posts
want to get rid of it? :yes:

·
Registered
581 Posts
very nice gun, I have the new englander from thompson my self lol. not only accurate, but so much fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice gun, I have the new englander from thompson my self lol. not only accurate, but so much fun to shoot.
Yeah they are fun, plus it costs alot less then my other guns, since it takes me a full minute to reload lol. I will work on that though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the same rifle although its almost 30 yrs old. Run about 40 grains of 3F for your main charge, and a small pile of 4F in the pan. Try to use real flint, not that agate crap that TC sells these days. The only problem I ran into was that the frizzen "lost" it's hardness and I had to buy a can of casenite to get the hardness back. Mine shoots like a dream!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
HOW did i miss this post till now?

NICE Beowolf! NICE.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
thanks, CU I thought you would get a kick out of it, next step is to start making paper cartriges.
funny u should say that. A buddy at work is building some this weekend for a video we plan next week. I hadda chuckle, he's been re-enacting civil-awr battles so long he hopes he can recall how to make them WITH a bullet in 'em.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man thats awesome. I've been looking at the Traditions Hawkens. I've been havin trouble justifying the purchase but you just might have put me over the edge....

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Nice addition! Just wait till CU sees it. He'll be jealous.
JEALOUS aint even the word! I see that set-trigger & i'm cut to the core... been wrestling with my .45 BP rifle of late, i love that gun, but it's got an even worse trigger than my SKS! :cantlook: giving-up taking it deer-hunting, gonna use my JHP instead.

But that Hawkin, MAN she's a beaut! And FLINT lock no less! THAT's one fine rifle Beowolf!

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
My Step father bought this rifle abour 10 years ago, shot it twice, cleaned it and decided that it was too much work to clean and never shot it again. I asked him to borrow it so I would have something to shoot when a buddy of mine brakes out his cap and ball revolvers. He said if I clean it I could have it. It had been in the attic of his garage for about 5 years, and the surface was pretty rusted, but the bore was clean. I scrubed it for over an hour and there is still a way to go but here she is.
It's very cool that you took a rifle that was pretty much abandoned to the attic and brought it back to life. It's just a shame those of us who like guns don't get offers like that more often.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Well Boys, I got less then 3 weeks before it's smoke pole season, so,, I took my 54 (old "Drop em") out and fired it yesterday. It was a lil windy but all went 0k. I went out to my rifle range and with 85 grains of RS, usin my home made .527 WW balls and pillow tickin patches I came out with this.

Now, Where is that deer at with the attitude!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I always love your posts Hobbles, plenty o'pics! Nice looking rig there. I'm a patched ball & powder horn fella m'self... "tradition..." sorry, almost broke into song there...

hey, that's a nice group for 10 yards. :angel: ;)

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Cool pic by the way, i'm wondering what brand of powder you're using, it seems to really keep the yella flowers down... some sort of charcoal/herbicide mix Delmar whipped-up maybe? ;)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mornin CoyoteUGLY,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts