New User Registration - Problem and Solution

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Strangerous, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Perhaps this could go in another thread, but i offer a suggestion, and a complaint.

SPAMMERS...

...The ones that are registering here are not the type that post a lot of ads and what-not. They are the kind that flood the memberlists, fill out profile information, take up the admin's time searching through the member list and ultimately slowing down the forum and taking the admin's time away from the forum.

I suggest that there should be one of those distorted graphics you must type what letters/numbers are there or a simple math problem one must solve to complete registration. Most of these "bots" are not capable of completing either task, therefore they are unable to flood the member lists and have the aforementioned affects on the forum. Just a suggestion, any feedback is welcome, until them i will be buying some xanax from one of our new members "HoholErr" http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1430

THIS MESSAGE WILL NOT SELF DESTRUCT

2. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

The distorted graphics were you must type what letters/numbers are seen is already active. This hosting site does not offfer the option of the simple math problem to stop spammers. Spammers are always heavy around tax time as they know people my have a few bucks to burn with the incoming funds.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Can you at least kill the spammer whose profile i linked to?

4. Got it taken care of tonight. I had 45 accounts to go through, and less than 10 actual users... This is getting out of hand. I just wish there was some other way to keep them from being able to create an account here, but we have all the usual account validation and security controls up and running....