New York State Assembly Passes Law Making Home Defense More Difficult

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by 1024Megabytes, Jun 24, 2015.

1. New York State Assembly Passes ‘Nicholas’ Law,’ Making Home Defense More Difficult

The New York State Assembly passed “Nicholas’ Law” Tuesday, a bill named after the 12-year-old boy who was fatally shot by a middle-school classmate in 2010.

At 77-58, the votes were close, and the bill only won by one more vote than was necessary.

Nicholas’ Law requires all weapons not in the owner’s immediate possession to be safely stored, making it more difficult for children to access the potentially lethal weapons, but more difficult for homeowners to protect their family and property from invaders.

“It says for 600,000 hunters, don’t pick up a cup of coffee on the way, (and) don’t use the restroom on your way back unless you bring your rifle with you,” said Assemblyman Andrew Goodel (R-Chatauqua County), questioning if leaving a gun in a vehicle would result in charges being filed.

Assemblyman Bill Nojay (R-Monroe County) argued that the new law will not be respected by the citizens, and that their disrespect will extend to law in general and even law enforcement officials.

“When we pass laws that the citizenry does not respect we cheapen the law, we increase disrespect for the law and we increase disrespect for law enforcement,” said Nojay. “Mr. Speaker, this bill is poorly conceived and like the SAFE Act is poorly drafted.”

However, Nicholas’ mother, Oksana Naumkin, and the group New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, fully supported Nicholas’ Law, saying the new bill will help prevent similar tragedies from happening.

“I applaud the State Assembly’s vote today passing Nicholas’s Law, which will prevent future tragedies such as the one that devastated our family,” she said. “Nothing will bring Nicholas back to us. But with today’s vote, we are a step closer to enacting a statewide law that will mean other families will not have to endure our ongoing pain. Now it is the Senate’s responsibility to act. We are not going away. We will continue to fight for Nicholas’s Law until it is the law of the State of New York.”

(This article was written by freelance writer Brent Rogers)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ny-...cholas-law-makes-home-defense-more-difficult/

2. This law reminds of Australia's much more strict laws on firearms. Looks like New York is heading that way at a quick pace. If I am correct, in Australia all firearms must be locked up with the bolt and rifle locked in a separate locations and the ammunition locked up in another separate place. You can have the gun, but you cannot effectively use it in self defense unless you have about six minutes to assemble your firearm and load it.

3. New Yorkers: Welcome to mAssachusetts.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    From what I read, even that would get you locked up. Apparently, setting a bat by your chair just in case someone breaks in shows intent to harm, and could get your self defense argument wiped out in Aussie courts, so imagine how badly going to get your gun, putting it together, loading and then shooting would do....:rolleyes:

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Another "I'm too stupid to survive on my own, please legislate my life for me" law....

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

It's not actually a law yet people, it's still a bill. It passed the assembly, it still has to get through the Republican controlled senate. It barely passed the democrat controlled assembly. The senate says it doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Where were the Republicans during the 'Safe Act' bill?

eldar

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    They were cowering like little b1##/$, trying not to do anything that might result in being called names by the press.

9. Rachgier

The democrats controlled both the assembly and the senate for the passage of the Safe Act.

10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Cowards!

Every last one of them!

This p*sses me off like nothing else. If You claim to represent the folk that elected You to office, then stand up like a mature adult and do so!

eldar

11. Think1st

Florida
    Was it a party-line vote, or were there Republicants who folded like lawnchairs?

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

What? New York? I'm Stunned! :rolleyes:

13. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

That's sad.

Just like during the first two years of Obama's first presidency...

eldar

14. Rachgier

You already know the answer to that.

If the republicans had stood up for their constituents, it would not have made it out of the committee. Of the 25 members on the committee, 13 were republicans and 7 of them voted for it.

7 republicans voted for the Safe Act in the assembly, and 11 voted for it in the Senate.

At the time, the Senate was 32 dems and 30 republicans. The assembly was 107 dems, 42 republicans, and 1 independent.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the link to where I'm getting my numbers from. http://www.wcfoany.org/?p=308

15. Think1st

Florida
    The Republican Party is done.

16. There is a good chance of that and very likely if they pick another leftist as their nomination for prez in 2016.

17. Rachgier

It definitely is in NY.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've been thinking since yesterday about this and I may or may not agree. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "done?"

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. Think1st

Florida
    I mean that they are trying to broaden their base by caving in to The Left on various issues, such as immigration and budget matters, but by doing so, they are alienating the conservatives. Meanwhile, they continue to allow themselves to be cast as corporate todies who have no compassion for the "impoverished" and minorities.

They are a rudderless ship, with no defining principles, who are now only good at making campaign promises in order to get elected--promises built around an agenda of reform, but they have not come close to achieving it. Every budget battle, approaching fiscal cliff or debt ceiling debate has resulted in more of the same. Heck, as soon as the previous batch of freshmen took office, they sided with the establishment to fund DHS, taking away any leverage that could have been used to fight amnesty.

If all of the Republicans had bothered to vote in the last election, Romney would have won. He was such a poor candidate, that 30% (IIRC) sat on their hands. The last presidential election was a manifestation of things to come.

If Republicants refuse to back a reformist agenda, their base Will quit voting for Republicans, if they vote at all, while they will continue to fail at gaining converts from the Dummacratic party-bus.

When I was back in The States, I spent about 20 minutes chewing out a Republicant Party fund raiser who dared to call me asking for money after I had already sent in my shredded Party card, emailed them that I had registered as a Libertarian and also repeatedly shredded all of their fund-raising documents and mailed them back to them in their own prepaid envelopes.

I am hardly the only one who has developed a sense of deep, dark contempt for their cowardly, unprincipled, useless controlling establishment. Making their electoral base despise them, while failing to win over new members is no way for a party to survive.

This is why I say that their days as a party are numbered. They are a bad joke.

20. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

So,if I am reading the intent of this bill correctly, when in New York, they want me to just keep my rifle with me at all times ?

Kick ass, works for me.

All kidding aside, let them in that state, and when more and more people fall victim to violent crime, it will cleanse the gene pool some