Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hows it goin?
Picked up two C9's from a local gun shop... then after a 10 week wait I finally received my Indiana gun license... plan to get to the range to shoot soon, anything i should know before going?
any advice would be great....

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Hello & welcome to our forum.

First thing to do is clean the gun & magazines.
Just a light cleaning & then very lightly oil the gun at the contact points. If you remove the grips one at a time & oil the trigger assembly, LRHO & the safety it will smooth things out. Check for any burrs or rough spots & smooth them out just a tad.
You should load the magazines & let them sit for a while. You could also load & unload them a few times to help loosen up the spring. Again, check the lips & edges of the magazines for any burrs.

Not really much to ask for. This is standard practice when you buy any firearm. It should always be checked, cleaned & oiled before shooting it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome Kocher C9!!!

I'm a newbie here as well so all I can share with you is my experience with the C9.
1. Try different ammo. Some of us on here have great success with WWB (Winchester White Box) while others like myself don't. My C9 loves the Blazer BRASS and Remington UMC. Buy a box of all 3 and maybe Wolf.
2. If you elect to completely disassemble to clean you might want to video tape youself doing it. The instructions are OK but minimal. Also, when I first did a complete cleaning on mine I lost the slide retainer pin (or so I thought). It's a tiny pin that you have to punch out and I thought I had lost it. Come to find out, due to my lack of diligence, it was in the tiny crack between my coffee table glass and border. BUT, even still when I called HP they sent me two replacements free under warranty. It wasn't until after I got them that I found the little pin. GREAT customer service!!!!!! Bottom line, when you punch it out have a reliable "catch" area.
3. My biggest issue was how to hold the gun. I'm not 'muscle bound' but a range instructor told me to hold the C9 with left finger on the front of the trigger guard (pulling back) and my right hand 'pushing forward' ~ it made a world of difference for me. I'm not at 3" groups at 30' but I am now at all (?) shots within 6"'s.

Again - welcome!
Craig

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hi, my name is Broomhead and I am a Hi-Point addict.
Everyone said:
Hello Broomhead.
Welcome to our support group.
There are five steps in our program.
Step 1: Buy ammo and send it down range.
Step 2: Buy more Hi-Points.
Step 3: Laugh at all the Gun Snobs for paying way too much, then out shoot them at the range.
Step 4: Happily spread your addiction to others whenever possible.
Step 5:Repeat steps 1 through 4 endlessly.
Unfortunately, these are not steps to recovery.
There is no recovery.
:devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile:

My assistant, Leland, will be by to dole out the meds. :sleezy:

Go Here and read. A compilation of my own compiling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys....
right now i have American eagle 115g fmj ammo... the guy that sold me my c9's told me they would work well for the brake in period...
i know it might be off subject but i also have a Davis p-380 i bought off a guy at work... before i get booed off the site i know, i know everyone says they are junk but i have been to the range a couple times with it and it shoots fine for me at least... its just a gun i keep in the night stand.... he gave me two different kinds of ammo with the gun fiocchi 95g fmj, and federal 90g jhp.... for those who know is this the ammo i should use... he said thats what he always bought but i figured the more opinions i get the better...
well thanks again for all the advice guys....
>Fred

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Anything you should know before going? Might want to try several types of ammo, don't limp wrist, lets the magazines "marinate" for a couple weeks before shooting, tap the back of the magazine to seat the bullets, and behave yourself so everyone will know HP owners are a good group.

Also the HP are addictive, great guns, and love to eat ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hows it going guy's, i was at wally world tonight and remembered reading on here that a couple of guys said the bought their ammo at wal-mart... so i stopped by the sporting goods counter and asked if they had 9 mm luger ammo and all they had was winchester ammo,,, so i picked up a couple boxes for the range tomorrow... what do you guys think about winchester ammo i haven't herd anyone talking about winchester but i guess i will find out myself tomorrow... thanks for all the input guys.... >Fred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i went to the range yesterday... go there at 3pm and they closed at 5... put my name on the waiting list and never got a chance to shoot... next weekend I'll go earlier... but i did get two hogue grips for the c9's and they feel great... this gun should come with a set of these grips... and i also picked up a holster... now i kinda want to try a smaller grip for my .380... I'll have to look next weekend... :cool2:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I would say get lots of ammo and shoot it. That's all :cool2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
hows it going guy's, i was at wally world tonight and remembered reading on here that a couple of guys said the bought their ammo at wal-mart... so i stopped by the sporting goods counter and asked if they had 9 mm luger ammo and all they had was winchester ammo,,, so i picked up a couple boxes for the range tomorrow... what do you guys think about winchester ammo i haven't herd anyone talking about winchester but i guess i will find out myself tomorrow... thanks for all the input guys.... >Fred
Winchester White Box ammo? I've seen lots of people here say it works great for their Hi Point, mine seems to hate the stuff. The wife and I went to the range Saturday( I wanted to see if she could actually shoot the revolver I keep loaded for her to use for home defense) and I learned real quickly that in front of her with a loaded gun if she was in a bad mood would be a very dangerous place to be. This was her first time shooting, and she did quite well in my opinion with my old .38 caliber S&W revolver. I did pretty good I guess, but then again, a bad day on the range is still a lot better than a good day at work.

I carried my C-9 along again, and tried a few magazines of WWB through it again, and had the same result as I had before, maybe 2 rounds through the barrel before either a jam or a stovepipe happened. It works great in my Springfield XD, not so much in my C-9. I should have grabbed a box of the Blazer Brass I have in stock I guess.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I
Winchester White Box ammo? I've seen lots of people here say it works great for their Hi Point, mine seems to hate the stuff. The wife and I went to the range Saturday( I wanted to see if she could actually shoot the revolver I keep loaded for her to use for home defense) and I learned real quickly that in front of her with a loaded gun if she was in a bad mood would be a very dangerous place to be. This was her first time shooting, and she did quite well in my opinion with my old .38 caliber S&W revolver. I did pretty good I guess, but then again, a bad day on the range is still a lot better than a good day at work.

I carried my C-9 along again, and tried a few magazines of WWB through it again, and had the same result as I had before, maybe 2 rounds through the barrel before either a jam or a stovepipe happened. It works great in my Springfield XD, not so much in my C-9. I should have grabbed a box of the Blazer Brass I have in stock I guess.
I to keep the old revolver loaded on side of the bed for my fiancee. I like to keep my HP .45 for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts