Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I am a serious NEWB here! I just bought my first ever firearm on Saturday at a local gun show. I was looking for something smaller and inexpensive ... and found a HP CF380 ACP NIB for $125.

I don't really know much about guns, except basic safety knowledge that I received in 7th grade (16 years ago).

Anyway, the dealer told me to run a box (50 rounds) of Winchester .380 FMJ through it to "break" it in. The problem, is that I couldn't find any at the show, and cannot find any online in-stock or in any local WalMarts/Bass Pro.

I was able to find some Remington .380 FMJ at WalMart tonight.

What have others used to "break-in" their CF380?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've been breaking mine in for the last month with whatever I can find with no problems.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You may need more than 50rds. More like 100-500rds, but Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

Hi, my name is Broomhead and I am a Hi-Point addict.
Everyone said:
Hello Broomhead.
Welcome to our support group.
There are five steps in our program.
Step 1: Buy ammo and send it down range.
Step 2: Buy more Hi-Points.
Step 3: Laugh at all the Gun Snobs for paying way too much, then out shoot them at the range.
Step 4: Happily spread your addiction to others whenever possible.
Step 5:Repeat steps 1 through 4 endlessly.
Unfortunately, these are not steps to recovery.
There is no recovery.
:devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile:

My assistant, Leland, will be by to dole out the meds. :sleezy:

Go Here and read. A compilation of my own compiling.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You may need more than 50rds. More like 100-500rds, but Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).
:welcome: jamez

In addtion to the 100 to 500 round break in on the gun the mags have a break in as well, Keep the mags fully loaded for a couple of week to help "relax the spring" during this break in time load one less round in the mag when your out shooting.
I used Blazer Brass for my break in period on both my C-9's and JHP 45.

Lots to see, do and learn around here and plenty of folks to answear all your hipoint questions

But remember...............................

Hipoint the addiction for which there is no cure :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats good info to know. ^^^

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
first, welcome to the fold.

Second....... get training! Call your local club or find a NRA course(s) and take them. Basic safety, protection, carrying, all that stuff. There's a lot to learn with safety being the most important thing.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You can buff the feed ramp to help speed the process along, but i wouldn't reccomend this to a newb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You won't be disappointed with your purchase. Make sure you spend plenty of time on the range getting use to your firearm. I would highly recommend taking a basic handgun safety class. Most of the handgun safety classes offered will double as your concealed weapons training (at least in Florida) if you so choose to go this route as well. I'm pretty new to this world but this forum has been such a help so be sure to use this great tool as much as possible.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Note, 50 rounds is not enought to properly break in a HP.
The proper round count is between 300 and 500 rounds. Please be sure that you have run these numbers before calling it broke in.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im still breaking mines in. Its so hard for me to get to the range. I have to drive 40mins to get to the indoor range and over an hour to get to the outdoor range.

·
Registered
222 Posts
:welcome:

+1 on putting a few more then 50 rounds through your new HP.
Also learn some proper techniques as to stance and grip so you dont get some jams due to improper use. Thats usually why most people rag on HP...cuz they dont know how to handle a gun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.