Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I'd do some research and see if you can find load data for the particular weight bullet you're wanting to load. I actually thought that the .380 bullet diameter was different than the 9mm of .355, but Midway USA sells .355 bullets for .380, so maybe not.

At any rate, check your reload manuals or do some online research to make sure you have specific load data, powder charge weights, overall length requirements etc. Once you do that, happy loading, shoot straight and don't miss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have not been able to find anything over 100g for 380. i know the heavier weights would slow it down some, but am curious if it would be safe or if it would cause to much of a pressure spike

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Personally, I don't load for .380, so I honestly have no idea. One of the other guys will probably chime in here shortly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you used the smallest grain 9mm bullet you could find like maybe a 100 to a 115grain you could probably get away with it.. the higher grain bullets are longer therefore there is even less case space for powder..

·
Registered
312 Posts
All the load data I found on a fast search of a powder mfgr website shows .380's only at 90gr -100gr. Seems prudent to me to follow the manuals?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
the guys over at the reloadbench forums load them as high as 124 gr with cast bullets but the loads are gun specific. many 380s cant handle heavy bullets lke that. a HP cold handle pretty much anything you caould make fit but a keltec or LCP would likely explode in your hand with the same loading.

SW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where might i be able to find info about these loads? my wife has a 9sve but has fallen for my old hipoint 380 instead of the s&w so i want to make up some good defense loads for her...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts