Newbie thinkin bout reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by travis9mm, Feb 1, 2016.

1. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Hey all, ive looked and looked then looked some more. Im wanting to start hand loading and cant afford to get a lee press or nice bench set up so, ive seen some people hand loading. Whats a good intro kit. I dont want to buy everything and not want to do it. Haha mainly loading .40 s&w and .45 acp. Maybe 9mm but definitely 40 and 45.

2. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Oh, good! Someone else to be confused with, lol! LOTS of info on here from very knowledgeable fellas! Been trying to learn the basics myself, so that I will be ready when I decide to take the plunge. :)

3. sarahsmom

Oh, and welcome from Las Vegas! :)

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have set up a few friends in reloading for less than $100 by making a "kit" for them. The Lee Reloader press can still be had for less that $30. Add a scale, some case conditioning tools, ram prime, and a set of dies you are good. Cheapest way to get started with a pretty good press. Plus if you like reloading and upgrade, you will still find a use for the press. I still have my Reloader press and use it regularly. Decapping, bullet sizing, even load a few cartridges on it. All the new ones come with the Breech Lock system, making it even more user friendly.

Get a few manuals and read them from cover to cover. I like the 2nd edition of Modern Reloading from Lee, and the ABC'S of reloading. I also like the Lyman manual.

The Lee Challenger Press Kit is good also, but add the dies and you are up to around $150. Still not a bad deal.

5. sarahsmom

That's good info Greg, thanks!

6. greg_r

I just went to Titan Reloading and did some pricing. All Lee equipment. To load 1 caliber.

The Basics
    Breech lock Reloader Press, $37.25
    Safety Scale, $24.98
    Ram Prime, $10.98
    3 Die Set, $29.71
    Total, $102.92

Add Modern Reloading Manual for $17.99

Not necessary, but useful, is a powder funnel, case conditioning kit, and powder measure kit, all for an additional $24.24.

The Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit is $112.49. Add the 3 die set and you are to $142.20. You still need the manual.

Hope this helps.

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Gres's got it pretty well nailed. If you want to go CHEAP and don't mind slow to start, I know a lot of people who (including me) who started with a Lee Loader http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-pistol/
    That, plus powder, primers and bullets (and a small mallet) and you're off to the races. Just be careful seating primers with these - it IS possible to pop one - I never have BUT it can happen.

As for Greg's suggestion, that's about the cheapest way to go with a "real" press.

8. rickm

rickm Member

9. greg_r

You don't need the bushings, although I like to have them. Just leave the bushing the press comes with in place, screw the dies in and out using the lock ring ONLY! Do not touch the die body. Your dies will stay in adjustment if you do it this way. The bushings only make die swapping more convenient.

10. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

You're gonna be in it at least 200 bucks, on the low side, no matter how you go with a press. The powder, primers, and bullets will run near a hundred bucks.

I recommend saving your money to do it right. In the mean time buy a manual or two, and like Greg said (hey wait a minute I'm Greg?) read them cover to cover. They'll tell you what you'll need to start giving you the knowledge to figure out what to buy while you save. You really don't need all the case prep tools for pistol, but they aren't very expensive, they make better cartridges, and they teach you case prep so if you get into rifle, where case prep is required, you'll be ready to go.

11. sarahsmom

Confused yet? This is about the time I throw my hands up in the air and run away screaming, lol!

12. greg_r

I didn't mention the Lee Classic Loader because the OP wants to load 40 S&W, and it's not available in that caliber. I have several of them and like them a lot. There's something therapeutic about hitting on stuff with a hammer! :D. I've never set off a primer either, and don't see how you can unless you do something wrong, but I know it has happened.

The Classic Loaders bring up another thought and that's "every thing you need to load one caliber". What? No scale? Thousands of rounds have been loaded by volume without using scales. Lee data is safe,even a bit on the conservative side. BUT, I reccomend a scale. I think a scale is good insurance.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    "Newb Loader" not a newbie-newb :p

RIGHT TRAVIS? :D

14. sarahsmom

Ooops! Sorry, Travis! :blush:

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I got the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit and one Lee 3-die set. Before S&H, that set me back $141. S&H was $17.

Then there's powder, primers, and bullets. The Kit came with sizing lube and the brass was free "range pickup."

$200 is about right.

If you're going to be reloading something that has the primers crimped in, add in a primer pocket reamer. Trust me on this.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. greg_r

Primer pocket reamer is one of the few pieces of equipment I don't have, it's on my list though. It's one of those things I don't have the opportunity to use much. When I do find a crimp pocket, a quick twist of a chamfering tool takes care of it.

17. histed

histed Supporting Member

You, Tracy?? The lady who built her own AR?? One step at a time - it really isn't that complicated and [​IMG] we're here to help

My bad - didn't check for the caliber. I started with one for the .44 mag and then the 30-30 - still have them. I prefer a scale also, but did a lot of rounds w/o one.

18. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    I have learned that THE MOST VALUABLE item in the reloading room is.....survey says.... a bar-stool.

19. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Thanks for all the awesome info yall. Ive been around for a couple years haha. Just a newb to reloading. Im not doin this for speed haha. If i can knock out a box of 50 in an hr and a half im happy. Sit on the couch and grab my table and crank em out. 9mm is my current ccw. .40 s&w is my carbine, and .45 for my next gun. Wifes beretta px4 full size is a 40 but its up for sale.

20. travis9mm

travis9mm Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016