Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning friends on the HPFF! I hope everyone is well.

I got a new shotgun to replace the lemon I bought a few months back. The lemon was an old Sears 12 ga semi-auto. It wouldn't eject the shells. The extractor kept jumping the rim. Since I bought it AS IS at a pawn shop I am just out-of-luck with regard to any recompense. I am struggling with what to do with it, (to try and have it repaired or just get rid of it/have it destroyed). If there are any gurus on those old shotguns (made by HiStandard) I'd love some feedback (pm me or post here). The problem appears to be that the cartridge swells to much upon firing and the extractor won't pull it out).

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with the new shotgun, a NIB Remington 870 Express that I bought for $250? It seems well made, but it may be kinda entry level. Pictures will be forthcoming, and as an inducement for my firneds to read this thread, I will include in the pictures something i've never included in all my positing on HPFF...

TOES!!!

I know everyone will want to check this thread for that :D

Anyway, I bid all of you peace and prosperity on this fine Saturday!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the problem with your sears is most likely the extractor spring is either broekn or weak, the extractor itself is worn or both.

the 870 express is an entry level 870 but an 870 nonetheless. 870s are the 800 pound gorilla on the block for reason. they never fail to go bang when you pull the trigger, are durable and relativly cheap. for 250$ a NIB is a firly good buy.

SW

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya know... a funny thing happened today....

I called Gander Mtn where I boutght the Winchester Super X ammo that I had been using and started talking about the problem with their gun sales person, toward the end of trying some better ammo. Anyway, I was connected to their gunsmith. (The Gander here has been without a gunsmith for months, and I didn't even know they had a gunsmith now).

Well... the gunsmith told me that he would be happy to test fire the shotty, because he thought the problem was the ammo. He explained the Winchester Super X with the "shiny aluminum" shoulder has been causing lots of problems. he went on to tell me that a customer recently bought a Brand new 870 and experience a FTE problem with that same ammo. He explained that the case and the shoulder (on the 12 ga product) were just too soft. They expand too much and therefore the extractor cannot grab them.

Anyway... he offered since I bought ammo there (a lot) that he would check the gun out for free. Good customer service, IMHO. So I took the Sears down there, he takes into into firing room.

*BOOM* *clatter of the shell ejecting*. *Sound of action operating*, *BOOM BOOM* *clatter clatter*. *action* *BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM* *clatter clatter clatter clatter*. He comes back out telling me there's nothing wrong with my gun, that it's the crappy Winchester ammo. What he shot (which i bought two boxes of in gratitude, was Winchester AA Supersport. It has a hard slick case and brass shoulder.

Bad ammo on left, good ammo on right:

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Now, to increase your enjoyment of shotgunning, invest in a MEC reloader (model optional). Start with AA hulls and quality powder (of your choice), shot, and primers. Settle down for hours of making your own shells and shooting pleasure for reduced costs. Startup costs may be daunting, but down the road you will reap the benefits.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts

I called Gander Mtn where I boutght the Winchester Super X ammo that I had been using and started talking about the problem with their gun sales person, toward the end of trying some better ammo. Anyway, I was connected to their gunsmith. (The Gander here has been without a gunsmith for months, and I didn't even know they had a gunsmith now).

Well... the gunsmith told me that he would be happy to test fire the shotty, because he thought the problem was the ammo. He explained the Winchester Super X with the "shiny aluminum" shoulder has been causing lots of problems. he went on to tell me that a customer recently bought a Brand new 870 and experience a FTE problem with that same ammo. He explained that the case and the shoulder (on the 12 ga product) were just too soft. They expand too much and therefore the extractor cannot grab them.

Anyway... he offered since I bought ammo there (a lot) that he would check the gun out for free. Good customer service, IMHO. So I took the Sears down there, he takes into into firing room.

*BOOM* *clatter of the shell ejecting*. *Sound of action operating*, *BOOM BOOM* *clatter clatter*. *action* *BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM* *clatter clatter clatter clatter*. He comes back out telling me there's nothing wrong with my gun, that it's the crappy Winchester ammo. What he shot (which i bought two boxes of in gratitude, was Winchester AA Supersport. It has a hard slick case and brass shoulder.

huh. ive shot piles of that stuff from ym borwning gold and my 870s with no problems. some guns dont like some kinds of ammo. food for thought.....

SW

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

huh. ive shot piles of that stuff from ym borwning gold and my 870s with no problems. some guns dont like some kinds of ammo. food for thought.....

SW
I shot a load of that stuff in my Wincester 1300 and the little Mossberg Bolt Action .410 without any problem too. Course that was then, and this gun, the Sears is 4 years older than I am. I can't eat like i could when i was a kid, either. :grinwink:

Anyway, I don't care what it eats. As long as it will eat something, I will feed it.

And now, I have TWO shotties. He he he. :D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, let me qualify something i said. The winchester Super X isn't "bad" :-[ ammo per se. it was just bad for my gun. I shouldn't characterize the whole line as "bad". that's my bad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can't go wrong with an 870. Great value, proven mechanism, good clean line/aesthetics. Good choice. So many people are picking up the mossbergs now, but honestly the Remington is JUST a better gun, period. Steel receiver instead of aluminum, it will last longer, it will kick you less, there will ALWAYS be more parts available than for the mossberg, more dependable, all the controls are central to the triggerguard area, etc...

Mossbergs are cheap guns. They get the job done fine. But the 870(Express variant) is an inexpensive, high quality firearm. Fit and finish isn't great, but it's got it where it counts. There's a reason it is far and away the most succesful commercial firearm in history. As far as I know, the only weapon that has been produced in higher numbers is the Kalashnikov.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts