Resident PITA
16,404 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I just think they will hold it until after the election, fwiw.

I did say "Oct. 25-ish" out of the gate, and that these elitist S-bags prolly don't want to hurt the Dims chances, so they can afford to wait a couple weeks longer. But it's primarily about money not politics.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
With some exceptions, there are plenty of people here who can talk about those. I'll bet UG knows some stuff about them, too.
Bro, I know less than it appears. At least about the nuts and bolts of the stock markets. To me it's somewhat crooked, and those thoughts were "confirmed" with the GameStop debacle. At least the bad guys got their ass whooped on that one, the short sellers seemingly got caught with more shares shorted than actually were in existence. This is an instance where blockchain would be head and shoulders above the existing market structure. One cannot make counterfeit shares with blockchain. Another thing TPTB will lose is the ability to sell a single asset (that is in their custody) multiple times, I believe that is called rehypothecation. Some days it appears that the entire COMEX is rehypothecated several times over. We're pretty sure they don't actually hold that much Silver, and to a lesser extent, Gold. How in the hexx is it possible to have a sell off of the ENTIRE ANNUAL WORLD SILVER YIELD all at once?? Total market manipulation is the best answer. Occam's Razor.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
Bro, I know less than it appears. At least about the nuts and bolts of the stock markets. To me it's somewhat crooked, and those thoughts were "confirmed" with the GameStop debacle. At least the bad guys got their ass whooped on that one, the short sellers seemingly got caught with more shares shorted than actually were in existence. This is an instance where blockchain would be head and shoulders above the existing market structure. One cannot make counterfeit shares with blockchain. Another thing TPTB will lose is the ability to sell a single asset (that is in their custody) multiple times, I believe that is called rehypothecation. Some days it appears that the entire COMEX is rehypothecated several times over. We're pretty sure they don't actually hold that much Silver, and to a lesser extent, Gold. How in the hexx is it possible to have a sell off of the ENTIRE ANNUAL WORLD SILVER YIELD all at once?? Total market manipulation is the best answer. Occam's Razor.
Not exactly. What you're describing closely resembles what is called cross collateralization wherein the same asset is used as collateral in multiple loans. It's legal, but obviously considered risky.

Hypothecation and reuse/rehypo is basically the format for how all lending works. Essentially it's how collateral is used. In a standard collateral loan, as the borrower I retain physical possession of the asset while the lender places a lien against it. That is called hypothecation. In a re-hypothecation agreement the client in possession of the asset gives permission to the lender in possession of the lien to then use that collateral asset they don't actually possess as collateral in their own future financial transactions to cover obligations in exchange for more favorable terms. Lower cost of borrowing, rebates on fees, etc. Rehypothecation also occurs with art. I loan my painting to the Louvre or some other museum and they list it as a collateral asset when they go for a loan to turn the wing o' weird shit in to the expansive, interactive center o' weird shit, complete with pretentious dancing animatronics and over priced snack bar.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
I agree that the value of paper assets traded far exceeds the value of the underlying metals and that the precious metals markets are manipulated to ridiculous levels. However, I'm not sure that block chain would cure the problem. As it stands, there is a block chain credit market out there. Crypto Earn is an example of that. Nothing would stop the re-collateralization @RACHGIER talked about in a block chain environment, either. All it would do is remove the middlemen who take fees for brokering the transactions.

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
I agree that the value of paper assets traded far exceeds the value of the underlying metals and that the precious metals markets are manipulated to ridiculous levels. However, I'm not sure that block chain would cure the problem. As it stands, there is a block chain credit market out there. Crypto Earn is an example of that. Nothing would stop the re-collateralization @RACHGIER talked about in a block chain environment, either. All it would do is remove the middlemen who take fees for brokering the transactions.
Crypto hypothecation is already a thing. It works like any other real property does. It actually increases the risk associated with crypto because it centralizes it in the finance houses and companies and allows it to be commingled with tangible assets. So as crypto becomes more accepted and wide spread out will begin to destabilize, investment risks will begin to rise, it will be subject to inflation, and potentially devalue as it is commingled with other collateral within the market.

• Helpful

·
Premium Member
26,938 Posts
That's how Crypto.com is able to do its Crypto Earn.
Yep. I'm still learning about how NFT's work and fit in to the grand scheme of finances as well. While anything with a perceived value can become collateral with an assigned value, NFT's and crypto are still so new that legal ownership laws aren't fully capable of solving theft disputes and it appears that "possession is 9/10s of the law" holds true still so a lien holder could get screwed if someone steals the asset.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
All the usual chicanery takes place in the Exchanges, where nearly all trades are done with the usual tricks used in the standard equities markets. Most Exchanges do their MAGIC off chain. Decentralized Exchanges are considered to be fully ON CHAIN but CEFI (centralized finance) Exchanges are more traditional. Or Trad-Fi, traditional finance. I'm not totally happy about this aspect. DEFI is usually the best way to go about this, no more than 100% of a valuation is allowed to be borrowed against, or loaned out. THEN, if the system goes "tits up" the damage is limited.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Yep. I'm still learning about how NFT's work and fit in to the grand scheme of finances as well. While anything with a perceived value can become collateral with an assigned value, NFT's and crypto are still so new that legal ownership laws aren't fully capable of solving theft disputes and it appears that "possession is 9/10s of the law" holds true still so a lien holder could get screwed if someone steals the asset.
That's why I'm looking at hard wallets. I'll just need to go find a chunk of drywall to hide it behind.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
All the usual chicanery takes place in the Exchanges, where nearly all trades are done with the usual tricks used in the standard equities markets. Most Exchanges do their MAGIC off chain. Decentralized Exchanges are considered to be fully ON CHAIN but CEFI (centralized finance) Exchanges are more traditional. Or Trad-Fi, traditional finance. I'm not totally happy about this aspect. DEFI is usually the best way to go about this, no more than 100% of a valuation is allowed to be borrowed against, or loaned out. THEN, if the system goes "tits up" the damage is limited.
Yeah, it's nice when the ones taking the risks are the only ones suffering the consequences for their bad decisions. It also helps eliminate the moral hazard that's pervaded modern financial systems.

·
Premium Member
37,308 Posts
I hope it is, but even if they hold it for after the elections, it's coming. Only thing left is to find out the severity and duration.
It may be. But NO ONE has a fix on a date, or even a month, for it to occur. Not even the people that supposedly are going to be the ones that instigate it.

Severity and duration? Severe, and long. A decade, at least. Last time we had a serious stock market crash it was a decade, and a war and HUGE deficit spending on war toys finally flipped a switch.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts