Next reloading room project

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by greg_r, May 12, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Picked up an abused RCBS RS5 for cheap ($5) Don't know how long it's been sitting, but it was gummed up to the point that it would hardly operate, and a lot of the paint was chipped off.

PB Blaster got it to moving freely, and the press feels to be right. It needs a good cleaning. I think maybe I will do a metallic anodized treatment and finish it with a jade green metallic.

I am thinking that this will be a dedicated press to load my brass shotshells with.
    20180512_034956.jpg 20180512_035051.jpg 20180512_035135.jpg

lklawson likes this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That’s a win!

3. greg_r

Finished project.
    IMG_20180513_045552.jpg
    I am happy with it. Looks almost new.

This is the 3rd RCBS I have refurbished in the past several years, along with a bench mounted priming tool that needed some TLC. I am reminded why I like RCBS products so well. They are just good solid pieces of equipment. Plus their customer service is second to none. This press, like the other 2 presses and the priming tool needs a couple of small parts to be complete.

This press in particular needs the primer catch tray and the large and small primer punch. I will call RCBS Monday and order the parts. My guess is that they will not let me pay for the parts, even though I bought the press used and in poor shape.

ichthyo, Dane, lklawson and 1 other person like this.
  4. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

They are usually happy to send the parts for FREE.

I’ve rebuilt a couple of Uniflow powder measures with lifetime warranty parts. This includes everything but the cast body and cylinders.

5. Dane

Dane + unkown number of likes Supporting Member

What is the procedure for " I will do a metallic anodized treatment and finish it with a jade green metallic. "

6. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I think that he probably powder coated it.

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The same procedure required when properly applying reading comprehension skills and noticing the operative word "maybe" in his statement.

8. greg_r

The procedure is you do a silver anodize powder coat and cover it with what is basically a Jade green metallic clear coat.

The problem was the auto parts store did not have green in stock, I could have ordered it, or gone with another color, but I wanted green and I wanted to finish the project. So I matched up the RCBS green as best as I could. It doesn't have the touch of silver like RCBS green has, but I an happy with the outcome.

moona11 likes this.
  9. Dane

Thanks, looks good!!

10. Dane

Remark directed towards me? My account still messed up and running slow. Maybe some skills can be applied towards fixing that?? Better use of time ? Thanks!

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

well my account works great.

12. Dane

Hopefully it will stay that way for you!