Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being given a $150 budget for a new rifle for fathers day. I'll be getting it a little late, but that's how the payday's fall so that's how it is.

I have always been a 10/22 guy but I already have 3 of them plus my daughters available, so I want to get something else to branch out a little. Based on that budget, I have 4 choices.

1. Mossberg 702 Plinkster - $107
2. Savage 64F - $117
3. Savage MarkII-F - $117
4. Marlin M60 - $147

I'm leaning toward the Marlin but I don't want to discount the rest of the options without getting opinions of their pros/cons. The last option is to put a little extra money with the gift budget and buy a Maverick 88 12ga. I'm saving that option for last.

So what say you all, which of the four would you go with, or would you say since there are 4 .22's already in the house, get the shotgun.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
IMO,I'd say if you don't have a shotgun yet get that. :cool2:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Go for the Savage MK-II you will love the accutrigger. I have a Mk-II BTV and a 93 BTV in 17HMR, the are the most accurate rifles I own.

Ron M.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only issue I have getting the MKII is that there are no irons. I have extra scopes, but what kind of rails are on there? Are they pic, weaver or 3/8"? If they are weaver or pic type I have a scope and rings I can slap on there,... don't have any 3/8's though so that may be an issue.

I've wanted a "sharp shooter" for awhile, was planning on making over one of my 10/22's to be such but if I can get one out of the box, even better.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
They are Weaver bases.

Ron M.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
Yep, $150 at Wal-Mart can get you a Maverick (by Mossberg) 12 gauge pump! If it's a rifle then I'd also say the Savage Mk II! Very accurate for an inexpensive gun!

·
Registered
250 Posts
After shooting a friends Ruger years ago I decided I didn't like the rotary mag and went with the Marlin 60. It's one of the greatest rifles i've owned and I measure all other rimfires by it. Heck I shoot quarter size groups at 50 yards using plain old Federal bulk and a 3x9x32 which I don't consider bad with my shaky middle age eyes. X

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a Mosin M44 and an SKS. I'm ok for power and range at the moment. Got a C9 and a JHP for close combat. Looking for .22,... unless Walmart's inventory changes in the next 3 days, I'm looking at a Savage Mk II-F. I plan to add a 12ga after that and then a 93R17,...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd go with a bigger cal. myself like a 4095/995 and is only about $50 more to your budget get or take
Not available around here at the moment, and definately not for $200, more like $300,... yeah pricey. Not to mention the cost and availability of ammo.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
IMO,I'd say if you don't have a shotgun yet get that. :cool2:
I'm with Andronicus..... you have high power and plenty of .22's. My vote would be to expand you arsenal and fill the void of no shotgun. Let us know what the final decision is and of course we will need pics.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I know this is late but I believe the model 60 is possibly the best 22 made I traded my 10/22 for one about 2 years ago and have never regretted it they are built like safedoors, I have always said they are the firearm equivalent to the Chevy 273 engine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
the model 60 for my first choice. I have had mine for 35 years and it is still one of my favorite guns.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Savage Mk II. Got my scope mounted, had to dig a narrower set of rings out of my drawer because of the mount hole spacing, but it's on there. Need to get out this weekend and get it sighted in. I'll have some pics up after the trip.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. The shotgun is next. Cheers! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts