NFA advice/question

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Considering a NFA tag (AOW) for a G17 EWS (exotic weapons system) build. Never messed with NFA stuff much at all so im wondering do i register the gun or the forward handgrip? IIRC the AOW tag is 5$ or have they uped it to 200$ like all the other NFA stuff? This is all specualtive, the only thing i have bought is the aforementioned G17.

SW

2. I think to transfer an AOW is $5. But if you build one you have to pay $200 for a builders stamp. From what I understand you would register the gun because it has the foward grip attached to it making it an AOW. This is the best I understand it after reading a similar topic on another board. Somebody with first hand knowledge can correct me if im wrong.

3. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    You may want to contact the BATF for info in writing.
    I would assume that the gun would be the registered item, as it contains the receiver, or frame. The forward grip would be considered a part, but combined with the pistol, the unit becomes an AOW, whether you go select fire or not.

just my take, but I'm not the guy that'll make life miserable for you.

I beleive 8andsand is correct, $200 to manufacture, and $5 to transfer.

4. No that would be bubba in cell block 2 :lol:

5. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Touche :wink:

6. Silicon Wolverine

7. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Dang SW, is it really worth the hassle and $200 extra just to add a front grip? I assumed you were going all the way, if you were considering going through the trouble... but I guess you could later if you wanted to, or would it have to be registered differently again? To each his own.
    I had attached a front grip to my XD one day while I had a box of parts out,and it just slipped right on. I did some research later that week, and found out that I had unknowingly AOWd. :oops: Took it off as soon as I knew, and keep 'em far apart now. Glad I didn't take it out!! :shock:
    Sorry BATF. I check everything before I try it now.

8. Silicon Wolverine

an AOW G17 even if its a 200$ tax is still under 750$. The last G18 FA i saw was over 22,000$. plus with a foregrip you could thoeretically bumpfire it. ;-)

SW

9. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Good point with the bumping. Best wishes if you do decide to go for it. :D