Nice Day

Discussion in 'The Tackle Box' started by beaglenc, May 21, 2018.

1. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Went out Friday targeting Cobia and scored. Live eel, 80# leader, 40# mono, 74#.
    Everything came together right, and the fishing gods smiled on us.:)
    Some of you folks may know that lots of folks get a fish like that "to the boat", but getting it in the boat is a whole nother thing. Connections held up, leader held up, right hook and the right gaff shot and smiles all around. When it all goes right, it's a good feeling. There's also a load of luck involved. Cobia SK.jpg
    "What's fer dinner?"

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Dayuuuum that’s a big ol’ fish.
    :carrot::clap::banana:

moona11 likes this.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Nice! We used to catch them just inside the hook at Cape Lookout. Many a lazy day with a rod and reel hitting the jetty for trout, the hook for cobia, or anchored up inside the loop playing catch and release with the blues while the nets soaked. Sometimes we would get lucky and have stripers running or catch the sunset feeding run of a school of Spanish Mackerel.

Rerun likes this.
  4. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Rach,
    That's where we were!
    I have "camped out" there for three days on a houseboat with that lighthouse light going over the boat every 12 seconds.....heaven on earth out there.

Rerun likes this.
  5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Have I mentioned that home base used to be Homer Smith?

6. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Yep. My wife's great grand daddy, Archie Newton, was a keeper out there at the lighthouse.

7. Jhow79

Jhow79 Supporting Member

Nice Job! we love targeting Cobia on our near shore reefs. Believe it or not in the last few yrs we've caught several in Pine Island sound in less the 3 ft of water targeting reds and snooks on the oyster beds.