Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the fact that your 995 now looks like a Berretta Storm, is there any advantage to the stock? Does it handle better, shoot better, is recoil lighter, is it more accessory friendly? I only ask because I got the 995 because all the reviews I saw on it said it was reliable, accurate and cheap. I don't understand pouring a lot of money into something when it doesn't make it perform better. I'm planning on doing some camo work on mine because I want to do some deer or hog hunting with it and prefer a matte finish and want to blend in. That's a functional reason to modify the gun.

I guess what I'm asking is, Why change it if there's nothing wrong with it?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Because we can! 8) I believe it is the same as putting chrome wheels, chrome valve covers or fancy paint jobs on our rides, it makes it personel. I just bought a can of paint to repaint my ATI stock , just because. ^-^

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey, god bless em if that is what floats their boats....

I personally like my stock 995, and just added a muzzle break and a 4x30 AIM scope, now she's good to go!
If I remember right the story goes, "The chrome won't get ya home".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has anyone tried to fill the factory stock with some kind of expanding material? The one that comes to mind is the insulation that comes in a spray can. I wonder if that would give the stock a more solid feel. I don't know, I'm guessing it was designed this way for a reason. But, sometimes, you can improve on an existing design.

Thoughts? :idea:

Al

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I tend to be in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. I would guess I've put 800 to 1000 rounds though my 995 with the factory stock and any problems were caused by me.

Ron M.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Ever see the mods possible to a Ruger 10/22? Only has about a zillion stock, magazine, trigger, barrel mods... that can make the $200 rifle a very expensive 22 cal semi auto. People just like to customize mass produced things.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Other than the fact that your 995 now looks like a Berretta Storm, is there any advantage to the stock? Does it handle better, shoot better, is recoil lighter, is it more accessory friendly? I only ask because I got the 995 because all the reviews I saw on it said it was reliable, accurate and cheap. I don't understand pouring a lot of money into something when it doesn't make it perform better. I'm planning on doing some camo work on mine because I want to do some deer or hog hunting with it and prefer a matte finish and want to blend in. That's a functional reason to modify the gun.

My opinions for what it's worth...

- Does it handle better? Absolutely. The ATI/995 combination is really well balanced and I find I can hold aim much mor easily.
- Does it shoot better? It's more comfortable to shoot for me.
- Is the recoil lighter? No, I'd say it's a little more than the factory stock, but barely noticeable.
- Is it more accessory friendly? Yes. There are a lot more places to mount rails, and they are available from ATI and Bushman Parts. You get a proper swivel mount for the sling and/or bipod.
- Does it affect reliability? That seesm to be open for debate.
- Is it worth it? I think so! Looks of the gun were important...the near perfect handling and balance is why I'll never go back to the factory stock

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a bunch, really usefull reply.

My opinions for what it's worth...

- Does it handle better? Absolutely. The ATI/995 combination is really well balanced and I find I can hold aim much mor easily.
- Does it shoot better? It's more comfortable to shoot for me.
- Is the recoil lighter? No, I'd say it's a little more than the factory stock, but barely noticeable.
- Is it more accessory friendly? Yes. There are a lot more places to mount rails, and they are available from ATI and Bushman Parts. You get a proper swivel mount for the sling and/or bipod.
- Does it affect reliability? That seesm to be open for debate.
- Is it worth it? I think so! Looks of the gun were important...the near perfect handling and balance is why I'll never go back to the factory stock

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I would say all the factors listed in favor of the ATI are highly subjective and having used both I side with Hi-Point, its a bad move. The ATI stock was not designed to do anything other than look like the Beretta. Balance is better? By accident if even factual surely because it was not made to improve balance. If you like the looks fine but it does not make the 995 a better firearm objectively.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm still not convinced that the guys who have issues with an ATI stock installed are having problems because of the stock, or just coincidence.

But even if the stock causes no problems, I see another issue that could come up with the ATI.

Hi-Point was wise to make sure all fasteners, action-to-stock, sling-to-stock, everything, uses fasteners that pass through the stock instead of a wood screw simply digging in to the plastic. As a result, you can take the carbine apart twenty times, and the stock will still bolt on as snug as the day you bought it.

But on the ATI, it looks like you have several areas where a wood screw is used to hold a plastic part on. This means if you tear down the carbine a few times, you are digging out all the holes where these wood screws grip, eventually causing problems. Aren't the barrel cover, barrel clamp, mag catch and rear cover all held on with wood screws driven into plastic?

To anyone who has had the ATI for a while, have you noticed any problems here?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.