Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this SAF email:

INJUNCTION IN 3-D PRINTING CASE, TELLS LOWER COURT TO DISMISS
The Second Amendment Foundation is applauding the Ninth U.S. District Court of Appeals for its decision to vacate an injunction obtained earlier in a lawsuit filed by 22 state attorneys general and the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, against an agreement between the State and Commerce departments and SAF and Defense Distributed allowing them to post data relating to 3-D printing of firearms on the Internet. The case is known as State of Washington v. U.S. Department of State.​
“This is a humongous loss for anti-gun Democrat State Attorneys General,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “They consistently attack Second Amendment rights any way they can.​
“This legal debacle was led by Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson,” he continued, “who became famous for suing the Trump administration in a series of partisan legal actions that cost taxpayers millions of dollars.​
“SAF and Defense Distributed look forward to sharing technical firearms information with millions of interested people on the Internet,” Gottlieb added.​
The Ninth Circuit panel remanded the case back to the district court with instructions to dismiss.​
“I want to thank the National Shooting Sports Foundation for intervening at the Appeals Court level,” Gottlieb said. “Obviously, the intent of the lawsuit was to void the agreement State had with SAF and Defense Distributed via a final rule that would remove 3-D printed guns and files from the U.S. Munitions list regulated by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). SAF and Defense Distributed were not named in the lawsuit to avoid this becoming a First Amendment case. As interested parties, we tried to get the trial judge to realize this was about our First Amendment rights to exercise our Second Amendment rights, because we were convinced we would have won on that basis.”​
Writing for the majority, Circuit Judge Ryan D. Nelson noted, “Because both the DOS and Commerce Final Rules are unreviewable, the States have not demonstrated the requisite likelihood of success on the merits…Congress expressly barred judicial review of designations and undesignations of defense articles under the Control Act and of any functions exercised under the Reform Act. Accordingly, the district court erred in reviewing the DOS and Commerce Final Rules, and its injunction is therefore contrary to law.”​

Well, there you have it. Allan Gottlieb may be one of the most important players in the gun rights movement in all U.S. history.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
So.... the so called ghost guns remain legal? If one has the 3D capability, one can print lowers, hand gun frames and the like? I have a problem understanding "governmentese" at times

Reactions: Think1st and Rerun

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
No change in status on making ghost guns. This was about distributing the files/plans/info/etc to make them. Wasn't about being able to make them.

FWIW. I read what the AFT plans on proposing to the usurpers in regards to ghost guns. Even that won't stop the huge increase in DIY guns nor slow it down at all. Tech has made it immposible for the government to stop.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
I am actually surprised no one has started a new thread on the ATFs rules on "ghost guns" and "Parts Kits" that they released on Friday.

So they want to put serial numbers on them, allow gunsmiths to put serial numbers on existing ones, or owners can do it themselves. Still kinda fuzzy on if you need a 4473 or not...

So, not banning them but basically putting those companies out of business. Who would buy a poly80 for about the same price as a real glock, and in some cases the glock is cheaper? The whole reason people did it was because no "paper trail".

I do have to admit the Poly80 version of the sig p320 I believe intrigued me. Way more work than the Glock counter parts.

I agree that this is complete bullshit what they plan on doing to these guys - regardless if I would ever intend on making one, I would not begrudge someone who does. I will be sending my comment in the comments section when they finally post it - we have 90 days. Lets hope they get so damn many that maybe they won't enact it? Personally I think it doesn't matter how many comments they have - they will push this one through.

Weather you agree or not with "ghost guns" please submit your comment and help out our fellow 2nd amendment loving gun owners- eventually this administration WILL get to something you do care about and we will need everyone to bury them in so much crap they won't be able to get stuff through. Kinda like what they did to Trump for 4 years.

Amazing how you can effectively ban something by making something that seems like a law, without actually going through the process to make a law... Anyway, get those comments flowing when it gets posted.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Under what they purpose one still can make one without a serial number. But if a dealer gets one he has to have a serial number put on.

With a 3d printer one can make the reciever them selves. There will be more 10s or 100s of thousands more ghost guns a year from now than there is today.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,952 Posts
Under what they purpose one still can make one without a serial number. But if a dealer gets one he has to have a serial number put on.

With a 3d printer one can make the reciever them selves. There will be more 10s or 100s of thousands more ghost guns a year from now than there is today.
Yup, I did understand that part on the 3D printers and will not do much to stop the flow of them in private hands. I guess my point is they are shutting down the sellers and poly80's of the world. They would need to serialize them. Wonder if there are enough loopholes in their "Rule" that they could just make them 60% or 70% uppers instead of the current 80%.

I'm not good at the legal speak, I swear they make in confusing on purpose lol.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yup, I did understand that part on the 3D printers and will not do much to stop the flow of them in private hands. I guess my point is they are shutting down the sellers and poly80's of the world. They would need to serialize them. Wonder if there are enough loopholes in their "Rule" that they could just make them 60% or 70% uppers instead of the current 80%.

I'm not good at the legal speak, I swear they make in confusing on purpose lol.
All and write your Congress Critter and them them know how you feel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts