No Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Apr 18, 2015.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My step son shot the 995TS last weekend at a alligator snapping turtle. It wasn't very loud! I shot it too. I am sensitive to loud noises. No problem.

Federal amooleenum cased.

2. Fracman

Fracman Member

What did you say I can't hear you

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    They say that if you shoot without hearing protection enough that you'll get used to it. I don't know why the guys who say that all yell when they talk, though.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    CERTAIN SUBSONIC CALIBERS DO QUITE WELL W/O HEARING PROTECTION.
    I do it all the time!!!
    :D

Really though, a closed action on a rifle, shooting a subsonic can be quite low-key for the shooter.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I love my Ruger American with sub sonic 22's not much louder than an air gun. It just makes a little pop. The HV's make that darn super sonic crack and sometimes the standard vel. make it and sometimes they don't it depends on the conditions.

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

i wish i wore hearing protection all these years. i have a 40% hearing loss. protect your ears!

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

I wasn't advocating not wearing protection, just said it wasn't loud.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I wear hearing protection as I lost enough of my hearing in the navy

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

when I cut grass I wear hearing protection+a dust mask, bandanna to shade the neck, boonie hat and gloves.

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    What did the poor turtle do to deserve to be shot?

11. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

WHAT!!! No helmet and eye protection? No side arm?

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

Eye shades especially when weed whacking.

Pocket carry always..........always.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

They remove chicken feet. The chickens won't go near the pond when one of these are in there. Box turtles get a free pass.

I shot a huge one 2 years ago with the JHP45.

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

It might not be loud now, wait a few years when the ringing is louder than anything else and then you'll realize just how loud it actually was.

15. Ummmm my crab a$$ neighbor, actually called the SO because I was caring my dessert eagle in 50ae in a shoulder holster. Deputy that responded knows me from my dept. Knows my neighbor. Asked why I didn't have my AR and a scabbard mounted on my tractor...
    Guess I'm looking for an ATV scabbard to mount next.

16. srb61

srb61 Member

lol...my wife says I'm deaf, I know I've tried to help it along,had a Ruger BlackHawk in 41 mag years ago,6 shots without protection and I was hurting for a week. ..add 3 years of unprotected ears dropping 81mm mortar rounds I know I should check them out but I can't hear the promts when I call the Drs office...

17. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

and you need white noise just to drown out the ringing!

18. The 995 is nice and quiet.
    I have shot all my guns at some point without hearing protection. Wether it be impromptu shooting. Or hunting.
    12ga. Is definitely the worst. .308 is damn close.
    I don't have a decibel meter but I would bet the 995 with the right ammo is quieter than a 22 pistol shooting normal hv.
    One of the reasons I like the 995 is it doesn't bother the neighbors

19. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Army service, working in the factory shop at Cat. Around the late 1970's or so they required ear protection when working in the shop. Too late for me. My hearing ain't worth a tinkers dam. One thing to consider it's not just the noise that damages hearing, it is also the compression of the sound wave itself. All do yourselves a favor, wear hearing and eye protection anytime you fire a weapon or are around others that are shooting. Just good common sense!