No more new firearms for me

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Atomic_Ed, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

After spending the afternoon at the gun show yesterday; looking for bargains, and finding nothing but way overinflated prices, I’ve decided to take a new approach to the hobby this year. Instead of buying a new gun or two (or three) this year, I’m going to concentrate on making sure my collection has the proper supporting items for each firearm. Here’s my list:

Magazines – 5 minimum, 7 to 10 for certain firearms
    Sighting system(s) – My eyes are requiring assistance as the years go by.
    Holster - pistol
    Sling – rifle, shotgun
    Ammo – 500 to 1000 rounds to be rotated, depending on use
    Reloading supplies
    Carry case
    Cleaning tools
    Spare parts​

Anything I need to add to the list???

Along with the above, I need to make sure the firearm is functioning the way I want it to. This includes accuracy, precision, reliability and fit to my personal body frame…oh, and make it a best fit for a lefty.

When I put together a spreadsheet using the above idea, I was staggered by how much effort and money this was going to take. It’s a good thing I’m retiring in a few years, I’ll need the time.

The real question is, will I have the discipline to follow through with this idea?

Your thoughts?

2. Grant

Grant Member

That is a really good plan especially if you are happy with the firearms you have. Sometimes it's not about the quantity of firearms, but making sure you have everything you need to go with it.

Well done.

3. Stock

Stock Member

Ive been coming to this same realization. Sometimes painfully with a bad purchase or two. My 995 is a prime example-I wanted something that would use the same 9m ammo. Came across the 995-Ive had it a month-Im having to take it to the Gunsmith to go over it-I have had FTF jams sinceI bought it. Well see.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WHY would you take a Hi Point to a gunsmith, when you can send it back to MoM for the cost of postage? It is much easier than driving over to the smith & opening up your wallet or purse & pulling out a HUNDO for something that is freely given to ALL HP owners! You got me there!!!!

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Atomic_ED, I may have to agree with you? I am now way past my limit on firearms, I really don't need another caliber. I am sure I look like a terrorist to some people with my collection. It may be time to start looking at other ancillary items to enhance what I've already got.
    In fact, I am SURE if the media were to investigate some of us on this forum, we would be regional news stories, if NOT national news???

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Your list is good. I like to keep a minimum of 1000 rounds of each caliber, separate from at least 500 of each for training. I periodically cycle ammo from the 1000-round storage load, ensuring that I replace what I use before it leaves the box for a range bag, though.

As far as magazines go, I buy enough to have 6-10 magazines for any new weapon that I buy.

If you like to use special targets, you might want to add a stash of those, too. It beats the heck out of having to buy them at the range, at the last minute, because you've run out of your favorite types.

Finally, you might want either a spotting scope or a good set of binoculars. I like to use them to check my targets from the line when I reconfirm zero at the beginning of a range session.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I like to maintain 1000 rds for each shooter. 70% FMJ and 30% HP. I usually recycle the FMJ fairly often, some of my HP I have had for quite a while. Can't bring myself to shoot HP at the range then pay the prices to replace it.

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You and me, both. That stuff sits in storage for MUCH longer than the FMJ.

9. bluharley

bluharley Member

The young lady that conducted my required course for my CCW said ammo can sit for years and years, virtually forever. And she was hotter than you guys, so I believe her:)

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome stock, I agree with melvin. If you're having that much trouble with a hp carbine it needs to go back to MoM.
    The hp carbines are the most reliable guns I've ever fired.
    When you get it back from MoM it'll be the best shooter you've got I'm sure.

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

When I see headlines about some poor guy that was found with 600 rounds in his home, I just cringe. The implication of a criminal act by the nature of the news media judgment is another sign of unfounded fear pushed on people.

12. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

A spotting scope was on my Christmas list, but Santa brought me a new Lee Loader instead. I will pick one up soon.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    This is a good thread for me. I am already doing much of Ed's philosophy, but it is good to review! Hard to have "too much ammo" and I still need some optics items and slings-n-things...
    For cleaning, might I suggest Kirk Lawson's FINE Cleaning Manual of alternatives to the higher priced gun-only cleaners? These are all tried and true, he goes into great detail. Many items will be under the kitchen sink or in your garage already.

14. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    +1 on Kirk's manual. I think it's very worthwhile to step back sometimes and think about what you have and why, especially since it's easy to let those accessory purchases go in the pursuit of new stuff. I ended up getting rid of several things when I realized that I just wasn't into them enough to be willing to spend more money on them. That enabled me to fund some upgrades and such without spending more. And you can't go wrong adding to the reloading supplies.

15. rickm

rickm Member

I too made the same statement as Ed about not buying anymore firearms and stocking up on supplies but that went out the door 45 days after i said it when a co worker offered me a gun at 50% off what the gun was worth i just couldnt let it go and has been several others just like it since but i do and have been able to keep my ammo and other supplies in stock also.

16. I think those news articles don't have the negative impact some think. IMO, it goes like this:

1. 65% of those that read forget it as soon as they finish reading the next article.

2. 5% that read it already want to take away the 2nd and reading this has no effect.

3. 30% that read it get excited about not having enough reserve ammo. They'll rush out - buy some more ammo or buy reloading equipment or buy reloading components. OR DO ALL .

17. Do the best you can trying to stay on track with your plan. More that once I've followed about the same thing as what you are planning and it works for the most part.

For me it works best to completely do 1 category and then move to the next. But, that's me.

18. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    laser rangefinder
    bipopds
    lots of batteries
    Chronograph

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

One other item to add to the list is proper storage and organization. I need a new gun safe, and this will be my next purchase.

Given this self-reflection, I think some of what was happening on my part was an unconscious buy-in to the fear of “Get it now because you won’t be able to in the future”. If I take a hard look at what I have verses what I really need, I’m good. But still, if that “real bargain” comes along, I’m not going to be stupid about this.

I would have better spent my time at the gun range than at the gun show this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement everyone.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A while back, I decided I needed to up my lay-in of certain calibers of ammo. I set my goal to have it done before the Mayan Apocalypse because 1) I needed a goal date and 2) that one was "fun." I got my stock and then a short while later the dickless nebbish murdered a group of children at Newtown, presumably because he couldn't beat even a group of kindergarteners in a fair fight.

Ammo prices went through the roof and I was sitting there going, "dadgum, I'm glad I bought before!" :p

Unfortunately, my plan didn't include a crap-ton of .22LR because I couldn't fathom a buying frenzy on .22, of all things.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk