Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad gave me this single shot rifle around 1964 for Christmas:

25.JPG

Can't recall last time I shot it, but let's just say it was at least last century, probably before 1975. It's been in the closet until about 2 years ago when the firearm bug bit me hard. I doubt there's 200 rnds been put thru this 60yr old gun.

Haven't taken it to the range yet, but the reason I'm posting is the bolt handle is loose, wobbles back and forth but doesn't come out.

I'm pretty sure it's threaded into the bolt and there's a flat on one side of the handle where it enters the bolt body where it looks like there's a stake mark:

DSCN0832.JPG

DSCN0830.JPG

DSCN0833.JPG

No owners manual, I don't know how the bolt disassembles, but there's a band around the firing pin and extractor that seems like a good starting point. I don't think taking it apart would do anything for me as far as the loose handle.

Anybody got one or have an idea on how to tighten the handle?

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So that band I mentioned is part of the extractor.

When I move the handle it comes to a dead stop either way I move it, maybe 5 degrees either way. To me that sure looks like a stake mark in my photo so I'll give it a whack with a punch and see if that stops it from moving.

Might take the bolt apart and give it a good cleaning too.

I imagine the whole rifle didn't cost that much new.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
My Dad has a Savage, 22 SLR single shot. I used to shoot that as a kid, and I recall being able to hit anything in range. Not that I shot long range, but the accuracy was impressive! The gun is older than me, and so is yours LOL

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long is that barrel? Looks like over 20 to me...
22", just measured.

First time I shot the thing I was at my aunt and uncles near Roanoke Rapids NC. They lived on a small farm. I had been out by myself for an hour or so and didn't hit a thing when my dad and aunt came out. Auntie sez...let me see that gun. She picked a crow off a limb what to me was several hundred feet away. She turns to me and sez...try aiming a bit better, or maybe the barrels bent! My dad said she was always a good hunter, only girl out of 6 kids.

·
Premium Member
35,661 Posts
My Dad has a Savage, 22 SLR single shot. I used to shoot that as a kid, and I recall being able to hit anything in range. Not that I shot long range, but the accuracy was impressive! The gun is older than me, and so is yours LOL
Made late 50's to early '60's, like '63, IIRC. So probably.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only part of the bolt I could remove was the knurled pull knob on the rear, didn't want to dick things up trying to remove something when I don't know exactly how to.

I sprayed some Rem Oil in/on it and the firing "blade" moves freely.

I stuck a bore sight tool in it and dang, my aunt was right. At 10yds the red dot was about 1" to the right. The front sight is screwed onto the barrel and I see no adjustment to it. What I did was tap the rear sight a few times and now the red dot lines up with the sights. Might have to take it to the range and try to hit a target at 25/50yds.

It'll be a nice little rifle for my grandsons to learn on.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
It'll be a nice little rifle for my grandsons to learn on.
Get them a few boxes of modern 22s and set them UP!

I'd ask @ajole but I'm thinking start at 15 to 25 yards iron sights if it checks out OK. The little Savage was always Spot-On and reliable. I have not shot that in a long time, iirc I did take it out around 2004 or later, I was liking it still. Hand reloading sure does make you take your time with all the steps, you want to make every shot count!

Show us how you did the RDS, Please @Dubar

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Show us how you did the RDS
Clarification...I have one of those bore sight thingies (Universal Laser Sighting System, LSS-0007-140, called LASERLYTE) with adapters for different calibers, you stick it in the muzzle and turn on the red laser. Looking thru the iron sights the "red dot" location (on the wall I was aiming at) was to the right of where the sights aimed. A tap or 2 with a brass hammer brought the rear sight in line with the front sight and the red dot. Clear as mud, right?

It was only approx 10 yards, but that's all I had at the moment.

I also have a 10-shot Rossi RB22 and a RS22 (10 and 25rnd mags). The 25rnd mag is actually a Mossberg mag that surprisingly fits the RS22, but does not fit the RB22 due to interference with the trigger guard. Grandsons should enjoy them too.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
Clarification: My reading comprehension was sucky, I shoulda caught that

DOOBIE!!!

I had a tiny Tasco for my Marlin 795 and it was pretty nice, but kinda poor in light gathering. Made nice little dime sized groups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts