Non firearm self defence weapon?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kyu, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

So this question stems from a discussion I had with some of my martial arts buddies. In my state it it illegal to carry a weapon period. The question is what (legal) weapon(s) do you carry for self defence?

Personally, I carry a tactical baton as well as a knife. My goto weapon is the baton as knife fights get ugly. Often you can be cut and not even know it (don't ask me how I know that one) until much later (and that goes for a deep stab wound too). However, after 21 years doing karate, I feel very comfortable with the strikes, locks and throws needed to use a tactical baton well (yes, it is more than swinging it like a club), but I have trained enough in knife fighting to feel comfortable with my backup.

So, just wondering what other carry as a not firearm alternative/backup weapon and how much they train with it?

cheers,
    Kyu

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well, when I was sure that I'd be going back to Phoenix and driving a cab while getting back into the industry down there, I had purchased a Tazer C2 after doing all the research. It has the best numbers for the punch it produces and has the option of being used as either a ranged weapon or a contact weapon.

But, if you are prohibited from carrying even that, I suggest the Uber flashlight I posted before. 4,100 Lumens, able to light paper on fire from about 10 to 15 feet away and looks just like a standard flashlight. About the coolest things I had seen! One flash from that and I don't care who you are and what you're on, you're blind.

Myself? I rarely conceal-carry anymore. As a Buddhist I was raised from a little kid that the best weapon is your mind, and being raised by a Liberal military woman I was also told that when you have a brain, a camera and confidence you can compensate to just about anything that may come your way.

3. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

I agree. Your best weapon is your brain and using it to keep you outta the bad situations. The next best weapon is a good set of running shoes to turn tail and get the hell outta there!

4. Ari

Ari Guest

Once you have been around the forum for a while you will see we are crazy for knives and flashlights. I have had a knife in my pocket since I was 7 years old. I always have a knife on me. But when I am not working there is always a pistol on me.

5. a flashlight that can light paper at ten feet? thats something i would like to see....

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

ALWAYS have my Gerber "Suspension" multi-tool and my 2 "AA" mini-maglite at all times on me :D I even threaten to take my stagehands off the shift when they don't have their multi-tools and flashlight.

Yes, I'm that serious about it. Then again, I work in a very dark world (litteraly!) with very dangerous equipment.

7. `Justin

`Justin Guest

I agree, the best weapon is your brain, knowing where to hit and where not to is the best defense when no other weapons are present.

8. rrjenn

rrjenn Guest

[​IMG]

I never go anywhere without this blade. It will cut through just about anything with ease. 6 inch blade with a 7 inch handle. End of the handle is hard and pointed enough to also be an effective weapon. Centrifical force will open the blade with a sharp flick of the wrist. 13 inches between me and the BG makes me feel safer. As always it is better to run away from a threat if possible, but that isn't always possible so I almost always have my Black Widow in an ankle holster too

[​IMG]

Of course I can't forget the one million volt stun gun. That thing will make you forget where you are or how you got there

[​IMG]

But you know I've never had to use any of them in a violent defensive manner and hope I never do.