Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m new to firearms. I own a Ruger SR9C as well as a Hi-Point JCP.40

I got the Hi-Point mainly based on a great price, and intend on using it for home defense. I bought some .40 snap caps on Amazon to get a feel for safely loading and unloading the pistol before taking it to the range. Everything went good for two loads. The third time a cap became jammed in the gun. The pistol is jammed to where the slide won’t pull back to dispense the cap. How can I take the gun apart without pulling the slide? Or do I have to send the gun back to have it fixed? Thanks for any advice for a guy that knows very little at this point.

·
Premium Member
Everything
2,990 Posts
Won't pull back at all? Or can you pull it back and see the cap in there at all?

This just happened to my husband the other night- was letting him dry fire my c9 for the first time and he thought he had jammed it- he just wasn't pulling the slide all the way back with enough force.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't pull back at all? Or can you pull it back and see the cap in there at all?

This just happened to my husband the other night- was letting him dry fire my c9 for the first time and he thought he had jammed it- he just wasn't pulling the slide all the way back with enough force.
Won't pull back at all. I'll try to get some video of it maybe but I'll need an extra pair of hands

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Drop the mag first. Look up in there and see where the round is catching. Use a screwdriver or whatever to un-catch it. (edit: see next post)

Hi-Points don't like dry firing. You can't rack it with the force it needs to cycle properly.

Reactions: Roastbeats

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
you can see (kind of) the brass from the cap in this picture. The slide has about 1mm of give but is basically locked in place
Got a rubber mallet? Smack the slide in the snout. Your out of spec snap cap is wedged in the chamber.

Or: Use a small screw driver to pull the extractor over the edge of the round. You should then be able to retract the slide for disassembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That did it. Thank you. I ran them through a couple more times and one keeps getting stuck. Is this cause for concern that live ammo will jam in the gun? Could be something about the plastic caps. Maybe I’m being paranoid. Regardless l, thanks for your help getting it unjammed

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
That did it. Thank you. I ran them through a couple more times and one keeps getting stuck. Is this cause for concern that live ammo will jam in the gun? Could be something about the plastic caps. Maybe I'm being paranoid. Regardless l, thanks for your help getting it unjammed
No. It's just $hitty snap caps.

Reactions: duster066

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Just curious, which of the three solutions did you use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Releasing the mag worked the first time. Second time I had to use the cleaning rod to push it back as well. Needless to say I’m done with the .40 snap caps

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
Releasing the mag worked the first time. Second time I had to use the cleaning rod to push it back as well. Needless to say I'm done with the .40 snap caps
NO! Just be done with the out of spec snap caps. Throw away the bad ones and get new ones. You still need them for training and post maintenance ops checks. All that has happened is you were sold crap snap caps. It's not 40 S&W or the gun.

However: it could still be a tight chamber. Go shoot it. If it fails with live ammo then you have a gun problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NO! Just be done with the out of spec snap caps. Throw away the bad ones and get new ones. You still need them for training and post maintenance ops checks. All that has happened is you were sold crap snap caps. It's not 40 S&W or the gun.

However: it could still be a tight chamber. Go shoot it. If it fails with live ammo then you have a gun problem.
Ok I hear ya. Is it uncommon to have bad caps? The 9mm I have work fine, same brand.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts