Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Noob Question

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Sgt. Pyrite 
#1 ·
So last Friday I bought a .45 Hi-Point Pistol. I plan on shooting it this weekend and was wondering how in depth I need to go with the fist cleaning of this gun before I shoot it for the first time.

And do I just clean the barrel after shootings and the trigger like twice a year or somthing?

Thanks,
Aaron

#2 ·
From what ive read in alot of cases most people dont clean them too often. But me I like to clean them after every other outing. I usualy use a rifle cleaning kit. Everythimg that is dirty that I can see gets cleaned, barrell, trigger assembly all of it . Im kinda meticulouse when it comes to cleaning my guns tho. Others may beg to differ.

#3 ·
:welcome: hooper! I too like to keep them clean. Just get in there and clean what you can get to and make sure you re-lube everything! Then, get out there and shoot the snot out of it! ;)

#4 ·
clean the barrel and feed ramp like normal and then hose it out with synthetic safe gunscrubber. follow that up with some type of drylube and you are done! Oh and make sure you run an oily patch through the barrel now your done!

#7 ·
at the very least I like to run the brush down the barrel a few times if i'm in a hurry to put mine-away.

#9 ·
I bought my JHP new and the first thing I did(following general practice mentioned here) was to run a cleaning patch through the barrel and load the magazines before taking it out. After that my JHP has become my favorite hand gun to take out and shoot.
After that I ran a rag over the outside, a cleaning patch through the barrel then a light oil patch and put it away for the next time. Don't forget to run another patch through the barrel before taking it out again!!! :-[

#10 ·
Yeah, I would not worry about breaking it down for a cleaning until you need to (somewhere between 1500 and 2500 rounds) if things are going well.

Definately do the patch thing prior to your range vist. Use Gunscrubber or something of that nature on all the areas you can get to. Then oil the parts that have friction (slide mostly) where you can reach them. I use some gun grease (Gunslick) on the slide, Rem oil in the trigger mechanism, and not much else. Go light on the oil.

After a few hundred rounds, you are going to probably find a lot of paint shavings falling out of the gun when you clean it or, maybe, even blowing out the gun when you fire. I would call that normal because they tend to have the paint on places it will rub off. Take a good look at the slide and see where the "wear" is happening, pay special attention to those areas when applying lube.

Internally, these gun will run with a lot of "crud" in there. I find the barrel and feed ramp need to be clean. It's a low maintenance peice for me.

Splitter

#11 ·
Ok,
Went shooting for the first time. It was awesome. Never jammed or anything.

But I noticed that the part of the sight with 2 dots, its on there crooked. Like twisted to the right i believe. I emailed Hi-Point about it and they just sent me a reply with their .45 division contact info. Do i need to call that division since he did not provide an email address for them?

Thanks.

#12 ·
If the sight is on wrong just take it off and put it back on. If the problem persists then go forth with technical support. When I got my 45 I wondered if I should break it down and clean, but unlike every other gun I have gotten the manual said nothing about an initial cleaning. Still haven't broken it all the way down and I have had 0 issues through about 200+ rounds. I didn't break down either of the C9's I just got as well. And my friend that bought a jhp same time as me didn't break his down for an initial cleaning either.

#14 ·
I don't think you need to clean it for the first few hundred rounds, may be 500. After that I use a boresnake, as to not have to disassemble the firearm. May be spray a little rem oil on the tail of the boresnake the last time you pull it through. Don't want to put too much oil inside the firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.