Noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by Mediocre_Bob, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Mediocre_Bob

Mediocre_Bob Supporting Member

Hello all,

New member. Just got a 995ts last week. Waiting for some extra magazines before I take her to the range. At $20 an hour I don't want to spend any more time than I have to reloading a single mag.

Already learned a lot about the rifle from busy guys. Looking forward to report back after I break her in.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Welcome to the club!

No national forest or BLM land around huh?

Sad thing...:(

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Asylum

4. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Welcome aboard the crazy train!!

$20 an hour huh? That is a little nuts, my old range was $20 but there was no time limit...

Anyway, welcome once again and enjoy your 995ts!!

5. Mediocre_Bob

Thanks guys. Sadly no open ranges around and the BLM is a little south of here. The range has lower rates for members but don't know if I want to sign up yet. Guess I'll know after I check them out. There are cheaper ones out there but better than an hours drive.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There is a lot of variation in range fees across the country. Some are far more than you're used to paying and some are significantly less.

I admit that I get a little green-eyed when I hear my friends out west tell me of super cheap and free ranges. I'm jealous when my friends talk about just opening their back door and plinking from their porch. Not an option for me. But I do have several decent ranges in my area which I feel don't charge outrageous fees so I do count myself lucky compared to some of my friends to the east. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Welcome to the forum.

Wow, I dont feel the least bit upset about my $75 per year range fee.

8. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The outdoor range I use is part of a gun club. The club membership fee is $75/yr including the range. Good deal as far as I am concerned.

Also, welcome to the HP forum madness

9. Mediocre_Bob

Wow, $75 a year sounds like a dream. I definitely have to do some serious shopping around.

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Yesterday I paid $6 for my stepson and me.
    Unlimited time.

11. Our range is a Sportsman's Club as well. We have trap area, pistol and rifle with target boards at 25, 50, 75, 100 and around 130 yds. Plus archery. I have never shot at an indoor range and have no desire to. Plus, no Range Nazis!

12. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

There aren't too many ranges within a reasonable distance from me, the only one that's any good is $20. Memberships are like $2500 tho. And they are all 25 yard.

If I wanted to drive an hour I could become a member at a shooting club...

13. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

I wish I could find a range like the ones you guys are talking about. In the Omaha area there are several indoor ranges that are $8 per half hour per person. I'll have to figure out a way to become friends with someone that lives in the country.

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'll have a 50 yard range in my backyard come spring, and my buddy has a 200 yard line at his house 10 minutes up the road.

15. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the "not mediocre" ;)forum Bob! From beautifully frigid ND

16. Kiln

Kiln Member

Wecome to the forum. I guess I'm lucky. My family has property where I can shoot whenever I want and there is also a free range at Hobbs state park which is a 20 minute drive. I've thought about paying for the convenience of the local indoor ranges but the idea of two free shooting areas near me is too much to pass up.

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Mind you the $3 range I go to is an hour's drive.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's the other funny thing...I have to drive (X) hours to.....

Walmart or Burger King...60 miles-1 hour.
    Movie theater or McDonalds? 30 miles-30 minutes.
    A mall? 90 miles-90 minutes.

Fishing and shooting...4 miles-2 minutes. :p

Edit...that's 2 miles or 4 minutes...:eek:

Of course, I have to drill a hole in the ice to fish right now, and the range isn't much fun at 12 degrees...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  19. Mediocre_Bob

Thanks for the friendly welcome guys. I appreciate it. Sounds like we could start a thread on range rates. Like Swaga, there's a lower priced place ($10/hr) but it's an hour drive each way. It's on the far side of San Antonio. Not enough savings for 2 hours of traffic.

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :welcome:Mediocre_Bob!!!

Hope you get it figured out!