Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Ever so slightly yes.
Preferably use snap caps when you tinker with this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ever so slightly yes.
Preferably use snap caps when you tinker with this.
Thanks SWAGA. Appreciate the help. I will see if that helps. I do note the problem doesn't ever occur after I fire the first round. The rest of the magazine (10 and 20 rounders) fires properly. Should the bullet be pushed all the way back against the back edge of the mag?

·
Super Moderator
28,403 Posts
That looks more like a magazine problem then a gun problem.
The mags have always been the likely source of trouble with HP's.
Magazines have always been the first place to look for feed issues for ANY semi-auto going back to the invention of the machine.

I know of 1911 owners who'd tell me about the problems they had finding reliable mag. How they'd buy a dozen and have to throw away half. How they turned metaphoric backflips when companies like Chip McCormick started making high quality 1911 mags back in the '80s.

And 9mm is even worse because of the tapered case.

Mags are always the first place to look.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Shroomish

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Yes, tap the mag in the palm of your hand to seat the rounds.

Reactions: Rerun and Shroomish

·
Premium Member
21,219 Posts
It is probably the way you are loading the mags. Who's the backside of the round down with your thumb or your finger to make sure it is nose up. Either that you're riding the bolt forward instead of pulling it all the way to the rear and letting it fly

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
It is probably the way you are loading the mags. Who's the backside of the round down with your thumb or your finger to make sure it is nose up. Either that you're riding the bolt forward instead of pulling it all the way to the rear and letting it fly
That's not what the mag pics are showing

·
Premium Member
21,219 Posts

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I just called Hi-Point and spoke to a technician there who told me I was probably not pulling the bolt back hard and fast enough. I'm doing that more (after also trying to orient the bullets in the mag more nose up) and it seems to be helping. Still not perfect with the 20 rounders but that seems to help. Tech was very knowledgeable and helpful. And thanks to all those on this forum too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've found that when I insert the mag, if I don't hear/feel a Distinct CLICK, the round is not seating right. This is BEFORE cycling the bolt. If I don't get the CLICK then I know that a round isn't going to chamber no matter what I do with the bolt. I have 3 Magazines and they all used to be fine. Now ONE of them consistently fails the "click" test and another one is intermittent. If I make sure the top round is pointing UP and all the way back, I can usually get the positive click out of it and chamber the round, but it is getting harder and harder with the problem magazine. Had a couple of jams (usually with Steel Case ammo) but usually once the first round seats OK the whole mag is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would strongly recommend you stick to round nose ammo and not use hollow points while working through this issue. This will eliminate one major potential variable. Once everything is squared away to your satisfaction, then try hollow points. Some hollow points feed better than others. Yes, I know many claim their rifle "eats everything I feed it with no jams" but problems feeding a HP carbine certain hollow points are not at all uncommon. Just a thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was probably directed at the other poster since his images showed hollow points...but I'll spend my $0.02 here as well.

FWIW, the ammo that gave me the most trouble was Winchester Service Grade Flat Nose.
Luckily, my handgun eats it fine, so I stopped even trying to feed it to the 995TS. I fired a grand total of 5 hollow points through the 995 (Sig Sauer 147 grain V-Crown) early on just to see if they would work and they did with no problems. Later I read some posts saying to stay away from 147 grain bullets altogether...but ignorance was bliss :)

Otherwise, purely FMJ round nose stuff for me. Mostly brass, various brands of 115 and 124 grain stuff, but some Wolf and Tulammo steelcase as well.

I would strongly recommend you stick to round nose ammo and not use hollow points while working through this issue. This will eliminate one major potential variable. Once everything is squared away to your satisfaction, then try hollow points. Some hollow points feed better than others. Yes, I know many claim their rifle "eats everything I feed it with no jams" but problems feeding a HP carbine certain hollow points are not at all uncommon. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Some HP's do not want to cooperate with a 995ts. Especially during a break in period. The worst ones to deal with are the 147gr HP bullets.
What bullets are you using in the hollow point rounds?

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Best to stay with FMJ ammo until problem is resolved. Will make your testing much more reliable.
I used 124gr FMJ at the range and the problem still happened. It seems by really snapping the bolt back and letting it fly the problem is resolving for the most part

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
It could just be a combo of a couple of things

• Break in period
  • Mags slightly out of spec
  • Operator being nice
Im still saying the mags are the biggest issue here.
Get them to the point where the top round is not loose, finger tight and angled up nicely.

Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I used 124gr FMJ at the range and the problem still happened. It seems by really snapping the bolt back and letting it fly the problem is resolving for the most part
And that is a good sign. Rack bolt as far back as it will travel and let it fly closed. If you let it move forward any at all before releasing, you may have your problem.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts