North American Arms .32 NAA

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by drscot, Jan 22, 2016.

1. drscot

drscot Member

I have just ordered one of these for a "pocket back-up". The wildcat cartridge is supposed to beat a .380 ACP +P ballistically. Does anyone have any experience with this true "Pocket Pistol"?

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's not the .380, its the .32 ACP that it beats., according to the numbers.

"The .32 NAA cartridge is a .380 ACP case necked-down to hold a .32 caliber bullet with the goal of improved ballistic performance over the .32 ACP"

I see under 200 ft lbs in most of the .32 NAA loads, and while the typical .380 is about that, the .380+P is getting up closer to 275 ft lbs.

I know they say it DOES beat EVERY .380 and .380+P, but I disagree. It is competitive, and will beat SOME .380 ammo...but not all.

It's also, sadly, just a 6+1, the same size as the NAA .380 pistol or P3AT, but close to $400, so I see absolutely no advantage to it.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Proprietary ammo.
    Expensive and could be difficult to get.

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I was intrigued by this pocket gun, ammo prices from NAA
    did not look that bad about a year ago. Metal Frame, too ;)

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's neat and it doesn't look particularly ineffective. Besides that, it has feed reliability advantage of being a bottle-neck. If you've got the money to spend on it, then it'll serve the stated needs and be kinda nifty too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Apparently handloaders don't have a big issue with it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. SWAGA

I'd kinda like to see a full size gun with a 20+ capacity magazine like the FiveSeven.

* what I would really like is a modern hi capacity 7.62x25 *

8. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

That would be fun, tt30s and cz52s just don't do it for me

9. SWAGA

There's just something intriguing about bottlenecks cartridges and little zingers.
    But I'd like to see a 4 inch barrel.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So...the .380 ACP, 9 mm Browning, 9 mm Kurz, 9 mm Corto, used in most European countries' military, police and civilian guns for over 100 years...they aren't reliably feeding, and there is an "advantage" to be gained over their lack of reliability by using a bottle-neck? Did I miss the news that .380's commonly fail to feed?:confused:

I'm not seeing it, especially not at the price.;)

11. drscot

drscot Member

Proprietary ammo: expensive, hard to find

Appreciate everyone's input. Regarding Swaga's thoughts that it shoots proprietary ammo and is expensive and perhaps difficult to find, that is not exactly the case if you know where to look. As far as "proprietary", the ammunition is made by both Corbon and Hornady. If it was "NAA" unique brand of ammo then it would be proprietary. I picked up 10 boxes (250 rds) of factory fresh Hornady rounds for $97 plus $15 shipping on Gunbroker. North American Arms sells all of it "at cost" plus shipping every day of the week. They sell the Hornady for $18/box (25 rds), the Corbon JHP (20 rds) for $16/box, and Corbon 71 gr FMJ (50rds) for $26/box. No shortages, no hassle, just call and place your order for however much you want.
    Yes, it outshoots the .32 acp. One would expect that from a .380 cartridge necked down to a .32 caliber bullet, but NAA also says it will outperform factory .380 acp (and they manufacture one) as well as .380 acp +P. Perhaps not Buffalo Bore, but Corbon makes pretty hot ammunition and they are the primary manufacturers of this "Wildcat" round. Sure there are exceptions to every rule (or most every rule), but in general, a .380 acp cartridge with a much smaller .32 caliber (60 gr) bullet should produce greater velocity and energy than the .380 acp with a 100 gr (roughly) bullet. When you get into other differences between heavier and lighter bullets then there are other factors to consider, but generally, (emphasis on generally), the lighter bullet with an otherwise equal powder charge should outperform the heavier builet from a velocity and foot-lbs of energy standpoint.
    I like the fact that it is small and easily concealable. If I need my back-up and use the 6+1, then I'm in deep doo-doo, and will hope my HP 4040 stashed in my trunk is not far away. If I were to go to a "back-up" with much more capacity I would be looking at a much larger gun and defeating my purpose of a small, light pocket gun for back up.
    Perhaps it is like my AMT Back-up .45 acp. Much has been written about what a p.o.s. they are. I have had both the AMT in .380, and now the ,45 acp and you know what, each one of them goes "bang" each and every time I pull the trigger! It doesn't get any better than that. Maybe I just lucked out, but even so, I am now in the market for an AMT Back-up in .38 Super if I can find just one. Seems they are rare as hen's teeth!
    Anyway, to each his own they say and not everything we read is Gospel. It pays to investigate.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, the MSRP is around $400, is the real world price that high?

While I'm not sure I agree it will be "better" than the .380 pocket guns, I'm not saying it would be any worse, either. Especially when the barrel is that short, .380 can lose some power right there compared to the "normal" ratings using 4 inch barrels, while IIRC, the .32 NAA is rated from the short sub 3" barrel?

If it were down in the sub $300 range, I'd feel better about the idea. But when .380's run $180-$250, it's a hard sell to persuade me the NAA is worth it.

I'm also curious how it feels. That extra velocity in that package could be a hot little handful. Not an issue in a carry gun IMHO, but something to wonder about.

13. SWAGA

Drscot, my AMT .380 is my every day carry gun so we're on the same page here :)

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A few years back, there was a company which was designing a high cap model which would include many of the popular calibers as well as the 7.62 X 25. I forget which one and I don't think they ever actually made it.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The news you missed is that bottleneck cartridges tend to feed more reliable than straight walled cartridges, regardless of how reliable one feels that a given straight walled cartridge feeds. The bottleneck is more reliable feeding. It's one of the major advantages of the design.

I'm too cheap to ever buy one of these. However, I can certainly see why there is an interest.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    You called it a Wildcat, musta threw them off...
    IMO it's not a wildcat cartridge once a major mfg. starts making it,
    Cor-Bon? Maybe... Hornaday? MOS DEF!!!
    I'ma wondering if SAAMI has a spec sheet on it yet...

6 is where it gets really interesting,
    but that is definitely "pocket gun" territory :rofl:

I consider the "bottleneck cartridges feed more reliably" a total
    urban legend, I have only seen that listed here, strictly as opinion.
    No links or anything to back up the assertion. Might have seen that
    opinion elsewhere too, but it was prolly just TrashyB on glocktalk :rofl:

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...calling you out again, mr. "no pants" :rofl:

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"Bottleneck cartridges are legendary for their feed reliability." - http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=4614

Here are a bunch more.

http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/#article/512

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/7-things-know-357-sig-sort/

https://books.google.com/books?id=o...ved=0ahUKEwjm9vDg9cDKAhWLaz4KHRgFBkcQ6AEIKzAG

19. SWAGA

[​IMG]

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    C'mon KIRK!!! I thought the mr. no pants
    would have produced a giggle or two :wah:

PS: Thanx for Links ;)