Nose high presentation

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by bigfrank330, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I know this has been discussed many many times but I cannot find the threads
    HELP
    Can someone paste the thread links here
    Two of my non Hi Points are presenting a 9mm 125 grain xtreme bullet NOSE HIGH
    It is driving me crazy

Frank

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Try tweaking your mags so the front lips are closer together?

Or is it the rear that need to be further apart?

3. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Every time I see a posting with someone having C9 magazine problems makes me want to find the Hi-Point magazine supplier and just beat the crap out of them.
    :mad:

4. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1418914441.308393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1418914458.256031.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1418914483.888535.jpg
    so I went to the range this morning and took some pictures
    This is a Walther PPX
    I need help
    I don't think it is the gun
    I think it is my reloads

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  5. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I NEED HELP PLEASE
    All you reloaders please help me
    Frank

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

* I'm not a reloader *

From the pics it looks like the shells have quite a 'ridge' on them where the bullet is seated.
    I don't know what the terminology is but the transition from the actual bullet to the shell has a 'lip'
    It may be hanging up on that.
    We've seen that before.

Does the gun shoot other ammo ok?

7. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I am using a 125 round nose with 4.9 Hodgdon 7625
    I started with 4.5 of 7625

8. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I have not shot any factory ammo in it
    The Hi points eat this ammo up all day long
    I will try some factory ammo in it tonight

9. SWAGA

The HP is a different gun with a different angle feed ramp and a different transition angle I assume.
    Also different production tolerances.
    Only picture I could find that is close:

The round is probably getting the case lip hung up on the feedramp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  10. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

I will try the factory crimp die and see what happens
    Swaga thanks for your reply"s

11. SWAGA

* I'm not a reloader so I may be totally off base here.
    Anecdotal knowledge is more like it.
    But we had something similar a while back.*

12. bigfrank330

bigfrank330 Member

Solved the problem
    Adjusted AOL to 1.14
    Problem solved
    It is funny how these cheap --s guns will shoot anything
    and our higher priced weapons only like it one way

13. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

This is what is happening on my cf380. At first it had nose dive jams. I adjusted the magazine by bending the feed lips which solved that issue. Now I get these nose high jams. Tried different ammo, but still happens on both of my magazines. Just like the pic, the nose is in the chamber but the round will not finish sliding in. Sometimes I can bump the back of the slide to get it to chamber, but most times I have to clear it.
    It happens usually once on every magazine load. There no pattern of it happening on the first round, last round, or any particular order in between.
    Any ideas for a fix? A healthy dose of oil helps for a little while but the problem always returns.

14. Just a guess, but try reversing what you did to fix the nose dive jamming - you maybe overcompensated. Otherwise buy a new magazine and try that - in my opinion, the Hi-Point magazine is probably responsible for 90% of all stoppages. I've done nothing to my C9, except regular cleaning & lube, and I have 6 double-feed and 3 fail-to-feed stoppages for 534 rounds fired. 500 rounds of 115 and 124 grain fmj, both steel case and brass and 34 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115 grain jhp with Hornady XTP bullet. (brass case) :)

15. Dave4903

Dave4903 My other car is a M60A3 Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback. Tried a new magazine last weekend but no improvement. What I've noticed in the 380 is that since the magazine is sized for 9mm, the 380 cartridge tends to ride forward in the magazine with the nose touching the front of the magazine instead of the back of the cartridge contacting the back of the magazine. This happens especially as a cartridge is picked up by the receiver. When the top cartridge is fed into the breech, the friction pulls the cartridge below it forward a bit. I think this forward position of the cartridge in the magazine tends to make it "nose up" too quickly when the receiver picks it up out of the magazine and tries to feed it.
    Even if I tap the back of the magazine before inserting it to get all the cartridges to sit against the back of the mag (like on a M16), they still work their way forward somehow.
    I'm going to try to polish the feed ramp and see if that helps. Otherwise I'm out of ideas that I can do at home.

16. As a last resort, there's always the #1 warranty in the business - send it back. The slight taper on the 9mm case can cause problems in single stack magazines, and the blowback operation, similar to the Makarov and Walther PPK, has been famous for feed ramp issues. Also, even though I feel that Hi-Point guns are well made, they are not built to the standards and tolerances of a Sig, Glock, S&W etc. Sometimes though, those exact tolerances can backfire - think Cabot Black Diamond .45 ACP...;):D

17. Herman

Herman Member

Too much crimp can be a problem as well. What's the COL of your reloads? Have you shot factory loads?

18. Herman

Herman Member

Oops. Didn't see the 2nd page. Disregard.

19. VinnieD

VinnieD Member

Don't forget to consider the magazine spring as well. Open it up and make sure it's pointing the right way. For some reason these things have a bad habit of coming with backwards springs. If it's a new mag the spring may need breaking in. Just load it up and leave it loaded for a week or so. Of course verify with factory ammo. I'd try all those things before messing with the feed lips, because if it's not those and you tweak them first, you just introduced a whole big set of variables.

20. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Note, he wan't talking about this being an issue with his HP firearms....