Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so its not a gun, but its still pretty sweet.

So I went to Louisville today to sell an upright bass to a guy. We met down the street from this surplus store I found online. After the sale I've got a few extra bucks burning a hole in my pocket so's I stroll down to the store. I do some looking, buy some surplus pants and a surplus coat for winter and I'm on my way out and look down and *BAM* there it is. A PASGT helmet in great condition. Its the real deal to. I weighed it and it matches the specs I found online. $60 makes this the deal of the day for sure. Now of course I really dont NEED this, but who knows. I may really need to protect my melon someday.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Those lids are cool. I've looked at some before kinda wanting one but I can't convince myself they are worth the price yet. Still cool though.

G

·
OK, So its basically useless against bullets. What other uses guys? I'll start. Great for SHTF when I need a good mixing bowl (salads, cereal, guacamole, salsa, etc) out in the field. :)

G

·
The PASGT Helmet is said to have stopped rifle rounds on occasion, most commonly 7.62x39mm (AK) rounds (in one account the PASGT Helmet is credited with stopping an M43 round from approximately 25 meters)[citation needed]. This performance would be closer to Level III or Level IV performance, though in a demonstration of the Heckler & Koch MP7 on the Discovery Channel show Future Weapons, a PASGT helmet suffered a catastrophic armor penetration when hit head-on with one round of the MP7's 4.6x30mm ammunition. Similarly, the firearms testing site The Box o' Truth has reported that a 7.62x25mm Tokarev fired from a ÈZ vz. 52 handgun was able to penetrate the helmet at 25 meters. In the same test, both the 5.56x45mm NATO and the 7.62x39mm were able to yield catastrophic penetrations through both sides of the helmet.

I have also heard of 9mm rounds going through both sides.

I am sure it is better than nothing, but the blunt force trauma when a head shot is taken is off the charts. Even if it does not penetrate, your neck is likely to break. Dont get me wrong, if SHTF I will have mine on!

G

·
My friend got a korean war helmet with the straps broken off at a flea market for $1 so we took it out and decided to see what different rifles did to it.. the only thing that didnt penetrate it was the .22lr.. .17 hmr with FMJ went right through, .223 and .30-06 of course went through it like paper. the funniest thing was the 20ga shotgun slug.. it tore it like a piece of paper and made the helmet fly 10 feet.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
PS: Sorry I said "basically useless"
They can easily handle anything these thugs dish out:
Now, look -- That's Just CREEPY!!!

Cut it out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Remember that the skull is a pretty good piece of armor. If the helmet slows the round down significantly it's better than not having a helmet.

When I was in the Army a medic buddy of mine lost his helmet between FTX's and, when it came time for him to replace the gear, the surplus K-pot that he found saved him about half of what he would've paid from Uncle Sam.

That said, you can't shave in a k-pot. Also, you can't make coffee in it.

G

·
those helmets are pretty cool and idk if this is true but i heard that a bigger purpose of those helmets were for if a bullet made it threw and hit you it would protect from ejected bullet and to protect your neighbor on the field. but i would love to get one of the kalvar vests i saw one at are local armory type of shop for 250$.. i dont no how real it is it was quite heavy but ive seen them all for like 800$ and up online so idk

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
i have one of those helmets. i got it for free. ,my marine buddy brought me one when he came back from Iraq, he thought it would go good with my gas mask.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.