Not an eBattery, a peeBattery!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

http://www.gizmag.com/urine-microbial-fuel-cell-electricity/36444/

"Human urine has been turned into all sorts of things over the centuries. Alchemists distilled phosphorous from it, it was once used for the production of gunpowder, tanners employed it in great vats to tan hides, and it has served as the basis of a myriad chemical substances, including the first types of plastics. Now yet another use for this ubiquitous liquid has been created. Researchers working at the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) have built a urinal that converts urine directly into electricity."​

If I bought one, does that mean I could keep my phone from running out of battery while I played Angry Birds on the toilet until my legs go numb?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. :rofl: Now that is food for thought.

3. "Until my legs go numb"
    I hate it then that happens.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Just keep a bottle of water handy so that you can maintain the steady urine flow. If you dry out, your battery will die out.

5. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Not angry birds, whatever kindle book I happen to be reading... :)

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I hear ya.

I'm in the middle of 3 different eBooks (including revisiting Burroughs "A Princess of Mars") and 3 tree-ware books including an antique Judo history and a post-Presidency biography on Teddy.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I just got in a hardcover "Art of Fermentation" everything from beer/wine to pickles to breads to...

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    OK, a quick warning:

If you are charging the battery, do not refill at the same time, gentlemen!!! :eek:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTgdXOHPlXA[/ame]

:rofl:

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good advice. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

All I took away from this is that you pee sitting down. :p

11. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Every HPFF member with a smart phone does......lol

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

How is the John carter series?..... Kinda sorta thought of getting it

13. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I found that amazon has a crapload of ebooks in the public domain. (meaning free) :D I've recently downloaded about 50 relating to the civil war, both non-fiction and historical-fiction, including a great 8 book series from Joseph A. Altsheler that starts with 'The Guns of Bull Run'. Already on the 4th..... :p

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Rollicking good adventures. But they're shallow. He is VERY forward looking in terms of racism. He is also dichotomous in terms of sexism. Most of his heroines are shirking violets, but he implies that many are very intelligent and even scientists. Later in the series he introduces strong fighting women (he states this in the first book but doesn't model it much).

They are essentially the early 20th Century version of an Action Adventure movie.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Thanks Kirk!

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

17. Kiln

Kiln Member

I guess I'm just a natural multitasker. Phone in one hand...well, you get the idea.

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Neighbor just bought a Kindle Fire(I ordered it for her on Amazon, I have prime and get fast shipping). I was impressed as I went over it with her(she is also late 60's so tech is not her thing). Nice screen, okay sound, interface is a bit funky but I am used to Android setup.

19. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

When I was recently in calif, one of my sisters gave me her brand new kindle fire hd 8.9. It's actually a pretty nice tablet. Msrp is like $400. When I got home, I gave it to my wife because she loves to play candy crush and some other games on her facebook, and I bought instead a new kindle paperwhite. I only wanted it for reading anyways.

I have found lately that my old eyes get really messed up quickly when I read a regular book, but I can read for hours at a time on the paperwhite. weird....