Not cleaning the 995 and a Ruger Ranch Mini-14

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by vboy36, Dec 6, 2017.

1. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

I don't know much about guns but have owned them for years. I have never filed stripped a carbine/rifle but may be getting to a point where I am going to have to do it. I don't want to and may not need to clean this carbine for a while. Last weekend i fired 50 rds of UMC 115 gr JHP with no issues and 30 rds of 124gr Fed LE HST JHP with one misfeed. Using 3 HP 10 rd mags and one 20 rd Redball mag. When i got home and sprayed some CLR down the barrel and in the chamber, ran a bore snake through about 3 times. I may shoot it again this weekend. Total rds through the 995 so far about 300. I think I have had about 4 misfeeds so far and two were when the gun/mags were brand new. So, I am thinking just keep running a bore snake with CLR until about 1000 rds and then watch You Tube for instructions on field stripping, does that sound reasonable?

I have a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch carbine that seems to be function. Bought it about 10 years ago from a friend. Started shooting it again. About 100 rds thru it, one misfeed. Maybe I will put a bore snake through it. Never cleaned it otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know, I have to take the stickers off

rowiebowie and daveindenver like this.
  2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Please tell me you meant CLP and not CLR? I usually clean right after every shooting session. Bore snake, some brush work, shot of remoil, and a wipe down. I deep clean all of my hunting rifles before I put them up after the last season.

The really isn't much of a field strip for our carbines. You either clean what you can reach or you break it down all the way.

vboy36 likes this.

3. Not sure if the HST is on the list of JHP's that feed well in the 995. I know the Remington UMC 100rd 115gr JHP's from Walmart work.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/proddetail.php?prod=RB995A001

Product ID RB995A001
    20 Round Magazine Red Ball NEW!!
    20 Round Hi-Point Approved THIS MAGAZINE WILL NOT WORK IN THE 9MM HANDGUN OR THE .3895 CARBINE PLEASE READ Due to restrictions in the following states, we are not able to ship to : Hawaii, California, Colorado, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, and Washington D.C. RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION To enhance your shooting experience and enjoyment, we recommend the following 9 mil ammunitions for use in the REDBALL Sports HP9-20 mag: FMJ CCI Blazer brass American Eagle PMC Bronze HOLLOWPOINT PMC Bronze HP Hornady 90250

vboy36 likes this.
  4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I wonder if CLR would do a better job of removing bluing than the toilet bowel cleaner I used last time?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

eldarbeast and vboy36 like this.
  5. Shroomish

Shroomish Saved by Grace through Faith

Ah....two of my very favorite carbines. You will not encounter a couple of carbines any more forgiving in cleaning/reliability arena than these two. BTW you can get a copy of the manual for the Mini-14 from the Ruger website if you don't have one...and it goes through the breakdown and cleaning (both very easy) in detail. Frankly...given the round counts you report I doubt the miss functions were a result of that...but YMMV. Your maintenance plan sounds doable to me....though I will be honest...I tend to over clean my rifles....cleaning them regardless of round count if I plan to leave them idle for a period of time. Enjoy them both...you can have more fun for the buck than you can with this outstanding pair!

vboy36 likes this.
  6. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Yes, CLP, thanks! Ok, so that sounds easy enough after every shooting session.
    Thank you, Rachgier

Rachgier likes this.
  7. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

8. I used to have a video of the UMC testing. The longer barrel gets it zipping along at 1400+fps.

vboy36 likes this.
  9. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Thanks, Shroomish! Good info. I will keep shooting. Like the prices on the .223 at Walmart. (-: I can tell the barrel on the Mini-14 is a little dirty from the muzzle flash.

10. vboy36 likes this.
  11. shubbell

shubbell Member

In my experience of the 2. I would definitely clean the mini. Personally I would do both after each session. The mini is notorious for being a POS. Mine sure was back in the 80's. Maybe they are better now. Sure aint spending $$ to find out. And I like my Rugers. The HP is the the AK of PCC. YMMV.

12. 2012gt

2012gt Well-Known Member

They all feed well with Redball. The HST works in the factory mag. At least it does for me.

vboy36 likes this.
  13. IIRC it fed Winchester steel case, Federali illuminumatti, Winchester 147gr Training ammo, (they are conical not round nosed) and others. I don't send the high $ JHP's down the pipe in my 995's.

14. huckleberg

huckleberg Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think for something like the 995TS, I will only really clean the bore with solvent when it looks like it needs it. Everything else in the gun can be cleaned well enough with a good nylon brush and compressed air. I tend to run my guns fairly dry except for the AR. When a gun really needs lube I sparingly apply heavy synthetic gear oil with a qtip. ($10 worth of oil will last forever).

vboy36 likes this.
  15. I make sure the firing pin channel is cleaned. A drop or 2 of lube on it and cycle the pin. I use a syringe and needle from Tractor Supply to the parts that move. I'm a Motorkote guy. Lube the bore with a damp patch.

Gear oil? That stuff is stinky!

rowiebowie, huckleberg and vboy36 like this.
  16. huckleberg

ain't gonna deny that! forces me to use it sparingly ...

vboy36 likes this.
  17. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

I like the expansion reliability of the 124 gr Fed HST and it seems to do well in the 995 and the magazines (30 rds, 1 misfeed). I would be happy with Remington 115gr jhp, (cost, walmart, feeds real well) but I am concerned about the over penetration and expansion reliability for a SD. Federal HST JHP in the 124gr 9mm is about $20.00 per 50rd box on line and if I buy that box plus 50 rds of 180gr Fed JHP sw40 for $15.00 and 50 rd bx of 124 gr UMC FMJ for $10.00 plu $12. shipping I get 150 rds of ammo for $.39 a round. I don't know if that makes any sense at all but it makes me feel better, lol. I am not on an unlimited budget, the Fed HST is about as expensive as I want to go for SD ammo. But, I have another hobby, electric guitars and I just bought an amplifier, a Fx pedal and an amp switcher. So I may just stick to fmj's in 124gr or 115 gr for practice rounds for the hand guns and 995, and load the 995 with Fed HST 124 JHP or stick with the Rem 115gr jhp.

18. The UMC in the testing shredded the jacket as it isn't bonded. Fragged a bunch. I can't remember if it was water jugs or Jello testing. If you can reload? XTP's probably feed well.

I own a "Yama-Caster." Maybe someday I'll learn how to play it. Maybe the wife will instead. I passed my dad's $1500 Martin mandolin from dad's attic to my dad so he could give it to one of my nephews. I knew I wouldn't learn to play it. I passed it to someone who does. It has sentimental value to me. Glad it is still in the family.

huckleberg and vboy36 like this.
  19. vboy36

vboy36 Active Member

Yes, thanks for reminding me. The unbonded bullet does fragment you're right and separate. Which is not necessarily A Bad Thing and would prevent over penetration. Good point. Thanks for the reminder. I did see one video where the 115 jhp went through a bunch of drywall stayed intact. But the unbonded issue through a 16 inch barrel. That's a good point. May stay with the Remington 115 jhp because of that. Thanks! The Yama Castor sounds very cool. And as for keeping the classic Martin mandolin in the family! Great move and I certainly hope someone in the family learns to play that beauty. Martin's are way out of my reach but I played a few and they are wonderful instruments.

20. huckleberg