Not HiPoint, but a shotgun question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by BigBadDad, Jan 15, 2016.

1. OK Friends,
    This may be the wrong forum, but I bet I get an answer. I have owned a couple pistols for several years, have purchased a HP pistol and carbine within the last few months, but just ordered and recieved my first "brand new" shotgun this week. I am a complete newbie on them. I followed the manual and did the cleaning, lubing, and assembly as directed. The gun came with this tool or gauge as pictured, with no explanation as to WTF it is for. Anyone care to tell me what it is for? It is marked "plus, 12ga, and 20ga" as it tapers down. The gun is a Winchester 12Ga. SXP.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That looks like it's a choke wrench.
    A choke is a slightly tapered insert for the barrel to tighten up the shot.
    They're screwed in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Different from mine, but yeah, I'd say it's a choke tube

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

No tall its a key for the chokes

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    As stated: it a tool to change the chokes.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Choke Wrench... ;)

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    mooona-zized :D

8. rickm

rickm Member

Well since the question has been answered already i will just sit back and watch

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

And a score and a win for the Swagz!!!

10. OK, Thanks for the replies. It makes sense. The model I bought does not not have intechangable choke tubes. But I can see how the tool could be used. Knowledge is power! LOL

11. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I meant...no idea why I put choke.:confused: I think I was going to put key or wrench after "tube"....and didn't

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Just stick the tool in the end of the barrel and it will fit the recesses of whatever chockes are in there and you can screw them out or in. Make sure you get them snug, but don't break the tool or strip out the recess in the process. I've seen it done. Then your off to the gunsmith.
    Fortunately I had a barrel set with my Miroku. Took 3 seconds to change to whatever ga. you wanted to shoot. I repainted the Abilene, TX. gun club way back when and the members chipped in and bought the set for me. $800. even back then. Must admit, the chokes are way cheaper. The barrels served me well on the AF Skeet Team though. Never a FTF. ;)

13. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Yep a choke wrench. If you ever lose it, a nickel and a dime can serve as 12 and 20 gauge wrenches, respectively.