Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the guys at the Indiana Gun Owners forum, it is not not legal to transport your pistol to a gun range, in Indiana, without a carry permit.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a
person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the
person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued
under this chapter being in the person's possession.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is correct. With no LTCH you can transport it from point of purchase to your home, or legal place of business if you are the business owner, and you can carry it on your property. That's it in the legal sense. How tough a LEO would be on you would depend on lots of things, but bottom line is, yes it is illegal.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I don't think thats too bad a carry permit. Its a 4 year handgun license, with a $10 fee per year I think. At least you don't have to take any classes, I think they can get a lifetime permit for around a C note. Eh..all the same...thank God I live in Wyoming.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think thats too bad a carry permit. Its a 4 year handgun license, with a $10 fee per year I think. At least you don't have to take any classes, I think they can get a lifetime permit for around a C note. Eh..all the same...thank God I live in Wyoming.
It's a little over $100 for the Lifetime. You have to pay $75 to the state and $40 to Law enforcement something or another and depending where you live there are extra fees to process your finger prints. What a crock! What good does it do to own a handgun unless you can go to the range and make sure you can hit what you aim at!

·
Registered
615 Posts
A 4 year license is $10 the the city/county, and $30 to the state.
Lifetime is $50 local $75 state with no current, $40 local, $60 state with current.
It may be a crock but it is what it is to be legal. My local fee covered the prints and photo.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
it's nearly a tax on the 2nd ammendment! It blows!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also something many may not know. This is a license to carry, period. Any way you choose. I carry openly or covered depending on the weather and how I dress.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 4 year license is $10 the the city/county, and $30 to the state.
Lifetime is $50 local $75 state with no current, $40 local, $60 state with current.
It may be a crock but it is what it is to be legal. My local fee covered the prints and photo.
I will go ahead and apply, but I felt like blowing off some steam first. I would rather go with the lifetime, but money is a bit tight right now. It also frustrates me that I read, that if I get the 4 year, I am not eligible to upgrade to the lifetime, until 90 days before the 4 year license is to expire. I probably better bite the bullet and go with the lifetime right away. Who knows if it will be available 4 years from now? I guess I'll just have to keep shooting my airsoft, or make more plastic bullets while I wait!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also something many may not know. This is a license to carry, period. Any way you choose. I carry openly or covered depending on the weather and how I dress.
That, I did know. Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
No problem Delmar, I wish now I would have went for lifetime as well, but, like most of us, money was tight at the time.
Took mine almost exactly 8 weeks to get back from state. 10 weeks total for both, but I caught the local during a holiday week so it got delayed a week or so.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Oh I agree its a crock...I can maybe see where you could make a case for having requirements and a permit for concealed carry,maybe. But that is ridiculous, I agree..you can buy a gun but you can't take it to a range...stupid. All states should follow Alaska and Vermont IMO. At least here in Wyoming we have open carry only need a permit for concealed.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Delmar,

Your still young! Go for the lifetime. More for your money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Delmar, Smart to go with the lifetime right away, I agree........ also, I WISH I could have a CC permit..... Wisconsin really blows there. I would RUN down to the station and pay $200 for the right to carry............... you just don't realize how lucky you are.........

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Delmar, Smart to go with the lifetime right away, I agree........ also, I WISH I could have a CC permit..... Wisconsin really blows there. I would RUN down to the station and pay $200 for the right to carry............... you just don't realize how lucky you are.........
Can people in Wisconsin transport their guns to the shooting range, without breaking any laws?

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
It looks to me that section 2(11) would provide a provision to carry to the range. Although it looks like it has to be unloaded and secured in a case

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
(1) marshals;
(2) sheriffs;
(3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
(4) judicial officers;
(5) law enforcement officers;
(6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
(7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
(8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
(9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
(10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
How does that provide a provision to carry to the range?

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts

So, if you are carrying it unloaded and in a secure wrapper, you can carry it from your dwelling, to a business, the range.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts

So, if you are carrying it unloaded and in a secure wrapper, you can carry it from your dwelling, to a business, the range.
No thats to the purchasers dwelling or their fixed place of business, not any business.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts