not QUITE a firearm, but a Flashlight that burns...litteraly

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by neothespian, Jan 28, 2008.

1. neothespian

neothespian Member

http://www.i4u.com/article14324.html

A flashlight, yes.....

That burns at 4,100 Lumens!!!!! Reports state that it sets combustibles afire from about 10 feet, is of average size, has a battery life of about 15 minutes and costs $299.

That would be...well...just nasty to get flashed by. I'm VERY interested since I have a fetish for all technologies towards less-than-lethal, but don't have $300 for this toy :(

2. urotu

urotu Member

Neo, that's very cool man, I want one too. A bit steep, but probably worth it just for fun, haha.

I might be too worried about it going off in my pocket or something accidentally though.

As far as less than lethal, I don't know man. I mean, I understand it's not technically lethal, but that would blister your skin almost immediately. I might rather get shot, burns suck.

3. Re: not QUITE a firearm, but a Flashlight that burns...litte

When I read this -> :shock:

Wow... and ow....

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

gives whole new meaning to the word firestick.

SW

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

its all well and good, until you or somebody else accidentally mistakes it for a normal flashlight, lol.

6. griff30

griff30 Member

there is a DIY cd burner laser mod that will ignite paper and matches. Much cheaper.

7. Ari

Ari Guest

Oh man leave that on in your bag poof

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

True, and it is a bit steep, but the advantage of this is that it's not a narrow beam, but a widespread beam that would actually do rather well as a defensive device. Unlike a stun gun, when you get blinded it's not temporary, and I can attest how dangerous powerful light is. I got nailed in the eyes with a 1,600 Lumens stage insturment while setting up for a concert and was sent to the ER when I still couldn't make out shapes 20 minutes later. The surgeons at hospital weren't sure if there was going to be permanent damage, but luckily my vision is still bright! (Still fuzzy since I'm near sighted of course, but bright).

And those stage lights you see at concerts and shows are made to light things up from over 50 feet away in 10 foot "pools"! This flashlight focuses the beam to a 2 foot area at half the distance.

Quadruple the power, and it becomes vicious. Glad that criminals are too cheap and stupid to afford this kind of tech, else armed robberies would become far too effective.

9. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

if it's hot enough to set stuff on fire exactly how hot is it with you holding it?

my god 15mins? whats the point.

10. neothespian

neothespian Member

I have no idea how well insulated it is, but considering that this can ignite combustibles, I could forsee this becomming more of a defence weapon that sure as hell is different over a can of mace or a tazer in some cases.

Some people may become resistant to pepper spray, mace and tazers when tweaked out, but luckily the eyes are the weakest part of the body, and after driving enough tweakers around in a cab I can attest these people DO NOT BLINK when high. It's like a vicious, drooling rambling muppet. That and Meth tends to make it's addicts light sensitive.

You see why it interests me. Always like options. That and you can light stuff on fire from across the yard! That's one hell of a party trick.

And, as for 15 minutes, that should be more than enough considering that you're NOT going to be using this flashlight to look for things in the dark....mainly for use when things find you.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

A regular old surefire G2 gets hot. It also lays down some real light too. I had my G2 turn on while on my side while I was driving. It did not take very long before my side was burning. The new G2 LED is 80 lumens, that to the eyes at night would mess you up. I have the old one that is not led it is only 65 lumens but that still messes up your eyes.

12. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

well can it set things on fire at range?

13. That's interesting stuff! Not that many people are that resistant to intense heat.

14. jason865

jason865 Guest

That is pretty freaking cool. However, at $299 I will wait for the cheap knock offs that only burn stuff up to 5 feet away :lol:

15. griff30

griff30 Member

Pr you could use microwaves to cook them.
    I like the idea of blinding them though, not everyone can fight like Master Po with thier vison gone.

16. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

The 3 options to disable an attacker are.
    1:Blind him, whether it be eye gouging/sand/beer/or this burning flashlight.
    2:Deny him air, whether it be by a good gut punch/headlock/or a homer simpson style choke-hold.
    3:Take away mobility, whether it be by grappling/taking out the knees/or a slam to the ground.
    i wish this flashlight was on the business end of a PR24... then you could essentially use it to do all 3.

17. Maybe GlockMan should use this as his Patrol Light?

Strangerous, what about you? If someone tries to blow the security gate, just burn their tires out for them... Whaddya say?

18. neothespian

neothespian Member

I'm beginning to think I should've waited and picked this little device up instead of the Tazer C2 (although it's a nice little weapon). They're about the same price and unless the attacker is already blind, which wouldn't surprise me anymore, this would have a pretty good chance of success.

19. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

If a vehicle crashed through a security gate on campus, i'd have all units block the exits, "lock 'er down", and comb trough the parking lots to find the suspect vehicle, though the body damage should be enough to ID it, it would be really easy to spot FLAMING TIRES out at night.