Not saying I'm going but I am thinking about it.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Aug 31, 2015.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My preferred carry is the 380. I make no excuses or apologies, it is my favorite. If I feel the need, I switch to the 45acp, but basically only use the 45 for bowling pin shoots. For carry around the farm it's the 38 special.

I am no fan of the 9mm. But recently it has become my most shot caliber. I do some informal 3 gun, and the 9mm is the smallest allowed. I do have a carry 9, a SCCY, as well as a full size.

Thinking of retiring the 380 in favor of the 9. Economics really. Plus space. I have already cut out the 40s&w, and have switched to 45 acp spp brass. Now i dont have to stock lpp. Have about 1000 95 gr .356 bullets cast up. When they are gone, maybe that will be it. Let the 124 grain .356 bullets take their place. Looks like I can convert my favorite car gun, CF380 to a C9 fairly inexpensively. My loading bench is approximately 2 feet x 3 1/2 feet, unless I want to move it back to the shed outside.

Am I going to change up? Doubt it, but like I said, I am thinking about it. What say you?

2. Kiln

Kiln Member

Go for it.

My grandad always said that violence should always be a last resort but if you have to employ it, always apply the maximum amount within your power.

Basically for defensive firearm choice this translates to carrying the most powerful gun you can use effectively with an adequate capacity.

3. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Well it has been brought up on here a few times, but modern ammunition is all pretty close anymore ballistics wise. I think I remember Kirk posting something on it. I think it was when the feds were going from 40 back to 9mm. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read it here.

Reloading you can roll your own "special recipe" for those 9mm and get the most out of them.

So to me I say why not, saves space/lowers the items you need to stock up on.

I've been a 9mm/40 owner, I've shot my dad's 1911 colt but don't own my own... yet! I kinda can't wait to start reloading after I move.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's been posted a couple of times here on HPFF. Here's a few stories on the subject.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/case-closed-fbi-says-9mm-is-the-best-pistol-round/

http://loadoutroom.com/12077/fbi-going-9mm-comes-science/

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i use 9mm and since i have glocks the 9m mags are pretty much univeersal accept for the 2 subcompact magazines that i have.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I say get all your 9mm stuff together before you "switch" :eek:
    But it would be worth it IMO
    I have avoided the 380 almost from day 1 when I got serious about SD...
    Not that there is a darn thing wrong with a 380, except for the cost factor.
    I have been thinking about SHTF since Day 1, and it makes no sense at all
    for that scenario. More Cost, Less Power, harder to find and barter...
    But for concealed carry, it fills a role. Smaller Guns, lighter recoil, easier follow up
    shots. Not everyone can find a happy medium with a 9mm carry piece!
    I totally understand that, and someday I may go the 380 route. If you jump,
    make sure you're covered in the 9mm stuff before you ditch the 380 stuff.
    Or just keep all your 380 guns and loading equipment, it ain't eatin' nuthin'!
    :D

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Except to people who have a 380 and no way to reload for it. :)

380's are really, really popular right now. Seems like there's almost as many of them as 9's.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    :confused:

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Can't argue that, even though I'd like to!

Cannot find sales data for 9mm and 380 handguns.
    Should try ammo...

But I agree, there has been a big proliferation of 380's lately!

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

LGS #1 and the local academy sell a bunch of 380 pistols and ammo. LGS #1 can't keep them in stock.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

WalMart has plenty of ball for 380 at the same price as 9mm. Winchester white box which is fine for target shooting.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

What's nice is you can load 33rd mags in any Glock in 9mm except the 43. Lately my carry is factory G26 mag with a +3 extension in my G27 with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel with 2 MagPul 17rd mags for back up. I am going to the post office to pick up a package with 4 33rd 9mm mags, 4 31rd .40 mags by KSG. I tested 2 last weekend...flawless. It also has 2 22rd mags in it from ProForm (will test) if they feed and I can conceal they will become back ups.

I am buying up hi-cap Glock mags for either a Keltec Sub2000 or two or just get one of these http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/aspx-cplt-9445-xxxx-xxxx.htm

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    What are my magazine options if I get my son's used G20???
    A bigger (longer) mag would be awesome, especially with ADDED WEIGHT!

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

Not sure. Maybe the 10mm will feed from a .40 mag? I think the Sig will I would have to check on a Glock forum. Two things that I will say about his comped gun. If you went with a regular no ported barrel the weight of the slide is probably lighter so it may be a problem. You can go .357 Sig, .40, and 9 with the right barrel and mags. 10mm really isn't in my vocabulary.

Any double stack Glock mag will fit except the .45acp mags.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

the RSA on the comp model could be different, not sure

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Pretty sure the 3rd gen G20c is the same frame as the G21. I do not
    have the SF model, I know that for sure. I have read that you can make the
    Gen3 G20 into a G21 and vicey-versey...

[​IMG]

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My .380 guns are the P3AT, and the HP in regular and COMP. the HP is a popgun, the Keltec isn't that fun to shoot. It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just sharp recoil. More than a couple of mags might hurt. But man, it's easy to carry.

My 9 mm's are the HP's, and the PF9. The PF is no fun, either. It hurts after a couple of mags. But it carries well too.

The .40's...two with 3" barrels, the Taurus is thinner gripped, which makes a few mags enough. The Springfield is not bad at all. The HP's...no problem.

.45's...all big and heavy. No sweat.

The 10 mm's...the EAA Tanfoglio is smaller, lighter, and a bit sharp on the hands. The Glock 20SF...not bad at all. It's easier on the hands than the Taurus PT140.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    Yeah, a G20 is fine with the "40 Long" but put some real 10mm in there... :eek:
    More Mass ROCKS!
    I really want an S&W 1006 ;)

19. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Just purchased a 9mm slide and barrel. Hope it is as dependable as my 380 has been.