Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Obama scaring people with his plan to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban I don't know what to get. Even the price of mosins have gone up a bit. ClassicArms had them for 90 bucks now they are 120. They have AK's too but the prices are POR, and they are closed tomorrow so I won't be able to call til Monday. So what should I do? :cantlook:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
get what ever you can get when ever you have a chance to get it because if you pass on it it just might not be there in the next five minutes when you change your mind and come back for it.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I really want to get a decent reliable inexpensive semi-auto but the funds don't really allow for that unless I save for awhile. :mad:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
yes buy now because they talkin about how our second amendments right is causeing all kinds of deaths in mexico so it's only a matter of time before something is passed. infact if you can try to buy up stocks and mags for guns you don't even own they will be worth alot of money in the future.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You're kinda comparing apples to oragnges, unfortunately. A semi-automatic assault rifle versus a bolt-action dime-a-dozen dinosaur. If the new administration looks to ban a weapon, it's going to be the latter of the two. I own both and would recommend the AK hands-down. Furthermore, get all the magazines and ammo you can, while they're cheap and still available.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had actually purchased one of the AK Shooter's Package yesterday morning for $549 from Classic Arms, shortly after Eric Holder's announcement.

Then there was a problem with my FFL, so I had to call back and change the FFL information. It took two hours to get through. During that time, CA had raised the prices of the shooter's package to $599, and changed their website to reflect POR.

When I finally got through, instead of honoring the $549 price from my earlier transaction, CA stated that I would be subject to the new, higher price. At the time (and under a panic) I reluctantly agreed, though I was pissed.

This morning, I sent them a fax to cancel the order. My fax stated that "Upon reflection, I'd like to cancel this order as I just don't believe what a WASR-10 is worth that price, even in this political climate." I still hold to that opinion. Sherry (Shirley?) called me back a few minutes after I sent the fax and I was able to get my order canceled without hassle. She was nice about it and understood my reasoning for wanting to cancel.

A WASR-10 is a cheap rifle by any standard. Sure, it's reliable as hell, but it is inexpensively made and is just not worth $650 (after shipping and FFL). I really wasn't happy with the $550 price tag either, but at that price it was a bit more palatable to own a piece of history that may otherwise soon be unavailable to law-abiding Americans. Keep in mind that back in October last year, a WASR-10 could be routinely purchased for around $300-350. Back then, that was still considered 'expensive'.

At the price the AK-47 variants are fetching now due to the political climate, I could think of many other firearms I'd rather have, both on and off the 'ban list'.

That's just my 2¢ on the issue.

Anyway, Pelosi (not that I trust her) and Reid (who actually has a somewhat pro-gun record) have put cold water on the Administration's AWB plans. For now.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
wow that's a shocker. Pelosi...enforce current laws...
Hell is freezing, grab the ECW gear!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
how many ak's do you have right now?

I had actually purchased one of the AK Shooter's Package yesterday morning for $549 from Classic Arms, shortly after Eric Holder's announcement.

Then there was a problem with my FFL, so I had to call back and change the FFL information. It took two hours to get through. During that time, CA had raised the prices of the shooter's package to $599, and changed their website to reflect POR.

When I finally got through, instead of honoring the $549 price from my earlier transaction, CA stated that I would be subject to the new, higher price. At the time (and under a panic) I reluctantly agreed, though I was pissed.

This morning, I sent them a fax to cancel the order. My fax stated that "Upon reflection, I'd like to cancel this order as I just don't believe what a WASR-10 is worth that price, even in this political climate." I still hold to that opinion. Sherry (Shirley?) called me back a few minutes after I sent the fax and I was able to get my order canceled without hassle. She was nice about it and understood my reasoning for wanting to cancel.

A WASR-10 is a cheap rifle by any standard. Sure, it's reliable as hell, but it is inexpensively made and is just not worth $650 (after shipping and FFL). I really wasn't happy with the $550 price tag either, but at that price it was a bit more palatable to own a piece of history that may otherwise soon be unavailable to law-abiding Americans. Keep in mind that back in October last year, a WASR-10 could be routinely purchased for around $300-350. Back then, that was still considered 'expensive'.

At the price the AK-47 variants are fetching now due to the political climate, I could think of many other firearms I'd rather have, both on and off the 'ban list'.

Anyway, Pelosi (not that I trust her) and Reid (who actually has a somewhat pro-gun record) have put cold water on the Administration's AWB plans. For now.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For God's sake, please let the United States do what's best for Mexico!

....what a load of horse crap
I agree completely! The way I look at it is this, is the ban gonna take all those "sophisticated guns" away from the cartels? No? I didn't think so either.
This just means they will still have them and they will still get them from the U.S because criminals don't play by the rules so they are just spinning their tires. This is just another ploy to get weapons out of law abiding U.S citizens hands.

·
Registered
60 Posts
how many ak's do you have right now?
currently? None. I've owned one in the past but it just didn't get much range time compared to the rest of my collection, so I sold it quite a while ago.

I can't say that I miss it all that much, quite honestly.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Odd, on my computer, at 01:17 AM on Saturday, the price is still listed at $599.95 for the AK "shooters package."
I have one just like that, it may not hit the range as often as some of my guns, but I ain't parting with it and I got it for around $300.00 a couple of months ago.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
not to long ago like a few weeks i had a guy offer me 2k for one of my ak's needless to say i still have it in my closet the gun means more to me than money now maybe in the future if times get really rough i can turn one loose but for now they staying put and if i cani'm gonna get a few more in a few weeks.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Odd, on my computer, at 01:17 AM on Saturday, the price is still listed at $599.95 for the AK "shooters package."
I have one just like that, it may not hit the range as often as some of my guns, but I ain't parting with it and I got it for around $300.00 a couple of months ago.
That's what I said. :brow:

I had already purchased at $549. When I called back to fix my FFL issue, they had raised the price on me to $599, even though I had already agreed to $549.

If I hadn't had the FFL issue and if I had not called back, the transaction would have been completed at the $549 price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well they were, but when you called they priced at $599. I guess they put POR on the website temporarily to cover their butts so they could keep raising it depending on demand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you thought about an SKS? I've got a Yugo and it's stone cold reliable, just as accurate as my Romy AK and very close to the Veper. It's also a LOT cheaper than the AK. Stick a set of MO-JO sight on it and a 20 or 30 round mag and your good to go. The biggest down side to the SKS compared to the AK is the weight. To me it's not enough to be a deal killer but it is something to consider. I prefer the 20 round mags due to the length. The 30s are a little to long to maneuver in a car or to shoot prone. I load with stripper clips. Still not as fast as changing mags but you can get pretty quick. While I would look for a semi-auto first you might want to pick up an M.N. M44 or 38. I collect Nagants and while they are an old and very strange design they are as reliable as a Mouser,an Enfiels or any other military rifle of that period and more accurate than many. I have an M38 that is my shooter of the collection. I have MO-JO sights on it and it will out shoot my Enfields (303 or 308) any day of the week and hold its own against a Yugo Mauser. I do have to admit the sights, even the stock ones, do help out a lot aghinst the Mauser. I like the light ball ammo. It seems to have a slight advantage in accuracy (this could just be me, I don't know of anyone who has conducted controled testing), it has a slightly flatter trajectory and much better penetration (it's seel core) I'll quit rambling on now. Good luck rifle hunting. ELBM

·
Registered
799 Posts
I find that my SKS is accually more accurate than my WASR-10 of course its also more accurate than my Mini-14. I dont know about yugo's but Chinese SKS's are awsome shooters
But right now I would grab a AK if its feasable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts