Not taking my own advice

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by greg_r, Mar 5, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

How many times here have I said you don't need a primer pocket reamer? A few I think. I'm cheap, you only have to remove the crimp once then you are good to go until the brass wears out or you lose it. The case chamfer in tool does a fine job of removing the crimp.

Well, I recently bought 1000 prices of range 223 brass, except that most of it turned out to be crimped 5.56 brass. Turned it into 300 blackout brass and started removing the crimp. Wasn't long before I started getting finger cramps. Went to the LGS and bought a RCBS Primer Pocket Swager -2. Hopefully it will be the best $36 I have ever spent. Will use it tomorrow and see. (I was still too cheap to buy the $100 bench mounted swager!)

2. greg_r

Well, I actually set up the swager tool and removed the crimps from 200 cases, in about the same time it would have taken me to remove the crimp from about 25 0r 30 cases using the deburring tool. Definitely was the best $36 I have spent in a long time. Wish I would have bought one sooner!

Only one issue. It will not work with the Lee Classic Turret press. It has a sleeve that is used to push the case off the swaging stud. The design of the ram on the Turret press will not let the sleeve seat. Fortunately I have the Lee Reloader "C" style single stage press as well. Another use for a second press!

3. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I've been doing some reading still in my free time on reloading stuff. Still need to get my damn dies but I have read a ton that a primer pocket reamer is nice to have, I'm cheap too and have looked at the very one you picked up but may just go with the bench mounted if I can find it cheap enough.

Happy to hear your liking it, and sometimes its good not to listen to yourself!!

4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You must have BAD finger cramps, seems your left middle finger is
    Sticking Up! :eek:

5. greg_r

That's what happened!

6. greg_r

There was a $50 difference in the cost of the two. The bench mounted version was $84. After looking at both and using the press mounted version, I would say the bench mounted version would be my choice, providing first, you had the bench space, and second, you actually use it a bunch. My answer to both, is not really, so I'm satisfied with the press mounted version. I am wanting another case trimmer too. Now I am using the Lee cutter and case length gauge. I like the RCBS bench mounted cutter, but will probably go with the press mounted Lee trim Pro, just to save bench space.