NoVA

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by huckleberg, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Picked up my 995 yesterday and dumped 400 rds thru it already ... probably will dump another 4-500 thru it today ... have had a few problems, looking forward to reading up and conversing about it ... Northern Virginia ...

rowiebowie likes this.
  2. OldSmitty

OldSmitty Member

Welcome from Oklahoma.
    What sort of problems did you have?

huckleberg likes this.

3. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Welcome from the over crowded Florida !

huckleberg likes this.
  4. Thanks ... I used to spend a lot of time in Norman ...

1) Failure to strip off first round of magazine when loading with a fresh mag on bolt locked open - about one in 10. I was making sure not to ride the bolt-handle home but it would still happen.
    2) 7x Failure to Feed using 115gr FMJ/Ball - not sure but I think this may be confined to one of the factory mags I got, I marked them and will test again soon. It seems that it had something to do with the case neck hanging on the front lip of the mag. Clearing the FTF was often a real pain.

Overall I like the rifle but want to clear these things up. Will post this in the Carbine forum as well, seems like the more realistic place to post.

OldSmitty likes this.
  5. Thanks, I like Central Florida, best friend x 30 years lives there.

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the asylum. Leave your mags loaded in between range runs and just keep shooting it. It will help break in the mags and the feed ramp, but at 400 rounds you're feed ramp should already be good to go. The first piece of simple advice is to rap the spine of the mag to help seat the rounds fully to the back of the mag, which can help alleviate problems, but the mags are the weakpoint of the HP design and do require a break in period as the springs can be a PITA.

7. Thanks, I have loaded them up and will let them sit over the weekend. I read this in several places.

8. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

Welcome aboard from Northern Colorado.

Also, take a page from what we did way back in Basic Training days. Tap the mag a couple of times before you load it up, and make sure to give if a final shove up.

had similar issues, and it helped a lot

rowiebowie likes this.
  9. you mean tap it so the rounds shift back in the mag? and a firm butt-slap after insertion?

ajole and Rerun like this.
  10. OldSmitty

OldSmitty Member

Yep, that's the way. Leave'm loaded all the time and they will work like a charm.

huckleberg likes this.
  11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Probably take a bit longer than that.

ThreePercenterJHP likes this.
  12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That will go away once they're broken it.

Make sure the problem's not the ammo. If you narrow it down to one mag, compare what angle the rounds sit with the other mags.

huckleberg likes this.
  13. rmuniz9336

rmuniz9336 Member

Yep!

14. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Be cautious with the butt slap. They also have caused rnds to dislodge from the mag and cause feed issues. In this case I believe they mean make sure the mag is up as far as it will go.

15. Bcb577

Bcb577 Member

I’m noticing on my new 995ts that when loading the factory mag the rounds are wanting load nose down so I have to adjust each round while being loaded

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A lot of people will load the mags then smack the back of the mag against their palm a few times to "seat" the rounds in the mag.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

fatal-bert33 and adam01364 like this.
  17. Bcb577

Bcb577 Member

Ok will do thanks for the advice!

18. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum from ND home to the insane and awesome at the same time