Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my 70's and have lived thru some interesting times but nothing can compare to this year. There's the virus, mobs, riots, murder wasps and now a shortage of coins. Kroger said that they aren't giving any coins back for change. Eventually we are supposed to be a cashless society. It's much easier to be tracked when you use plastic. I'm old school and use cash all of the time. Seems like people are being conditioned for something.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
One reason for a coin shortage in the U.S. is that there are fewer coins in circulation. Due to lockdown restrictions and businesses being closed, people have been spending less money since the coronavirus crisis began, which means spending fewer coins.

U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said on June 17: "What's happened is that with the partial closure of the economy, the flow of coins through the economy has... kind of stopped.

"The places where you go to give your coins and get credit, cash... those have not been working. Stores have been closed. So the whole system of flow has kind of come to a stop. We're well aware of this."

From (external link):
https://www.newsweek.com/why-national-coin-shortage-us-mint-federal-reserve-1516615

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
653 Posts
One reason for a coin shortage in the U.S. is that there are fewer coins in circulation. Due to lockdown restrictions and businesses being closed, people have been spending less money since the coronavirus crisis began, which means spending fewer coins.

U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said on June 17: "What's happened is that with the partial closure of the economy, the flow of coins through the economy has... kind of stopped.

"The places where you go to give your coins and get credit, cash... those have not been working. Stores have been closed. So the whole system of flow has kind of come to a stop. We're well aware of this."

From (external link):
https://www.newsweek.com/why-national-coin-shortage-us-mint-federal-reserve-1516615

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
"One reason for a coin shortage in the U.S. is that there are fewer coins in circulation."

Yep. that's the reason alright. Duh.

I just went to one of those Coinstar machines that you see in the supermarkets. Cashed in about $100 worth of coins no problem. Nobody can say I'M not doing my part to alleviate the coin shortage! Hmph.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I'm in my 70's and have lived thru some interesting times but nothing can compare to this year. There's the virus, mobs, riots, murder wasps and now a shortage of coins. Kroger said that they aren't giving any coins back for change. Eventually we are supposed to be a cashless society. It's much easier to be tracked when you use plastic. I'm old school and use cash all of the time. Seems like people are being conditioned for something.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Everyone should fight against a cashless society tooth and nail. They press a button and your accounts will be shut off until you comply with authorities. No buying or selling unless it is electronic only.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
There was a sign in Food Lion about the coin shortage this morning, first I heard about it.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
More bullshit. Satan laughing spreads his wings.........................

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Nesara gesara

Reactions: Merle and OldOutlaw

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
We can never go cashless. My dealer refuses to take Visa.

Reactions: yworrydog and ajole

·
Premium Member
35,668 Posts
When I was a freshman in college, there was a penny shortage. Kind of silly since Utah produces copper, but there it was.

Stores would pay any penny change due in penny candy. They also bought pennies, 8 for a dime.
You never saw any pennies on the ground that year.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Screw Pizza Hut. I have cut them off for purchases long ago. Over priced and not very good pizza is the reason. Now I won't even consider them for our bi-weekly pizza purchases.
Every merchant is going to do that. Not just PH. Grocery stores are going that way.

Everything.

Reactions: uncle mark

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
Every merchant is going to do that. Not just PH. Grocery stores are going that way.

Everything.
I was trying to pick up drive-through food on the way home last night for the family. Went to Taco Bell. When I saw all the hand-written signs: "Cash ONLY" I turned around and went somewhere else.

I don't carry cash any longer.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
When I was a freshman in college, there was a penny shortage. Kind of silly since Utah produces copper, but there it was.
I am for abolishing the penny since it is so worthless now. Round to the nearest Nickel in my opinion. Keep all the current American coins except the pennies.

·
Super Moderator
28,370 Posts
I am for abolishing the penny since it is so worthless now. Round to the nearest Nickel in my opinion. Keep all the current American coins except the pennies.
Or maybe base the value of the dollar on the value of 100 pennies weight of copper.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun
1 - 20 of 182 Posts